SparkTabbedPane (Externalizing Tabs)

Hi,

here is the newest version of the TabbedPane.

I’ve added the detach arrow and optimized the mouse dragging of the tabs. Now you can drag to the sides and the tabs will be detached…

Greetings
tabbedpane_02_12_08 (111556 Bytes)

Tested. Yeap, it’s now reacting to dragging to any side.

Nick. I have noticed one more issue. Though i’m not sure yet. But it seems that i sometimes dont get the message popups and a chat window is not flashing when i’m in a muc room. When i switch to the original spark.jar then it works fine. Also tab’s title stays red even when i bring muc chat window to the front and this tab is the only one. Usually it should change to the normal state in that case. Now i have to click on the tab to make it back to normal.

Hi Niklas,

I am using the spark.jar provided by wroot (last attachment he posted), I think you are doing a great job!

I don’t know if I’m ‘beta testing’ on old version, but below you can find a few remarks so far (I’m just using it for 10 minutes now):

Small issues:

• If you have the tabs configured to be at the bottom of the chat pane and the window is at the bottom of your screen and you drag one tab out than the newly created chat window is placed partly off-screen (probably due tot the mouse position).

• It would be nice if the drag movement would immediately lead to UI response (like dragging a semi transparent tab), now the UI responds after the mouse-up.

Enhancements:

• Make the taskbar button ‘flash’ on new message arrival (you mentioned this earlier yourself)

• Make the taskbar icon change when the other party is writing a message / goes idle / etc. (Maybe the goes idle part is already implemented.)

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Jorre Meijrink

jmeijrink wrote:

• Make the taskbar icon change when the other party is writing a message / goes idle / etc. (Maybe the goes idle part is already implemented.)

You can check another Niklas patch here Many Patches - Spark Dev - Ignite Realtime Community Forums (also spark.jar attached, but without history and tabbedpane patches). SPARK-935 in my last comment. In that spark.jar it only works with tabs (cant drag them out), but you can see the status of the current tab in your taskbar.

Ok, thanks for your fast responses!

My primary issue is the history, so I’ll stick to this version for now.

Kind regards,

Jorre Meijrink

Hi Jorre,

I know all these problems, but momentarily i’ve got no time to work on it.

But when my time is not rare anymore, I’ll fix them.

Greetings

Hi Guys,

I’ve got some time and worked on this patch. I’ve fixed the problem, when clicking the popup on reiceiving a messag and i added a feature to recognize received Messages.

If you got an externalized ChatRoom and it’s minized there is blinking a mail picture when you got unread messages.

Greetings
SparkTabbedPane_23_01_09.patch (120169 Bytes)

Great. I will test it and attach newer spark.jar here later (after i get home from work)

Attaching the last compilation. Jorre, showing the presence of user in a detached tab is working and also it shows typing notification. Also it shows blinkin envelop icon when you get a message, though personally i would prefer to simple taskbar entry blinking as it is more visible. Such envelop icon blinking would fit for http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-971 (blinking in systray).

Jorre, issue with window being out of the bounds is still present, but it is not related to tabs being on the bottom of the window. It behaves the same with tabs on top. It puts detached tab titlebar at the mouse pointer position i think. Not a big issue if you window is in the middle of the screen and you drag upwards.

Clicking on message popup is fixed now.

There is still issue with MUC. Muc room is showing with offline icon in taskbar and i dont get message popups when new messages arrive in a room, and taskbar entry is not flashing. Also it shows bolded red room title even if muc room is focused and i have to click on that tab to make it not bolded-red.

This is so far the only issue i’ve found. Everything else i have reported is fixed.
spark.jar (3203196 Bytes)

Well, after using it longer i’ve spotted another issue. After the tab becomes stale (inactive) taskbar shows it as offline, though it could be online or away. This only happens with tabbed pane and you have to bring it up, then the icon becomes offline.

This is what I call Service (with a captial s)!

Special thanx of course to N1ck for the fixes!

I already downloaded the spark.jar and will start using it today.

Any issues I find I will report here.

Thanks again,

Jorre

Hi wroot,

About the replies in your post:

*personally i would prefer to simple taskbar entry blinking as it is more visible. Such envelop icon blinking would fit for http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-971 (blinking in systray). *

I do agree with you on this one, blinking taskbar entry is also default windows behaviour. Maybe both is best.

Jorre, issue with window being out of the bounds is still present, but it is not related to tabs being on the bottom of the window. It behaves the same with tabs on top. It puts detached tab titlebar at the mouse pointer position i think. Not a big issue if you window is in the middle of the screen and you drag upwards.

I also think it puts it the titlebar on the mouse pointer position, but it just feels unnattural that when you drag it only side-ways the new window is placed below the other window. I still think it would be more natural if only dragging side-ways would put the tab on the same height.

Kind regards,

Jorre

one more issue: i have two tabs with offline contacts (user1, user2) open in tabbed mode. Focus is on user2 and tabbed window is minimized. Then user1 logs in. Taskbar icon turns to green. Though it should stay offline, as user2 is in focus and he’s offline. If i bring the window up, then it starts to show correct icon (offline).

same with the typing notifications. if user2 starts typing it will change icon to typing no matter what user is currently focused.

recent experience: i’m not responding to some messages fast enough when only an envelop is blinking in the taskbar entry. Usually my taskbar is cluttered with 10-20 windows opened, all with different icons. I just dont notice new message if i’m looking at something in the upper part of the screen.

I must agree with you on this one. I have been missing some messages too.

me again :slight_smile: Another issue. I wasnt at my desktop for a while and it was locked. When i unlocked it there were two new chat windows in my taskbar but they werent flashing nor with envelop blinking. I had one separate window with someone sending me messages. If i move it back to stack and that person sends me another message, then another one tab with that person appears and i got the same message in both. Seems that Spark is still handling separate chats and tabbed ones as different types of chats sometimes.

I bumped into the following issues:

1. when you drag a file onto the name of a user in the roster the message pane opens, but you only see the message history, the file transfer itself is not shown.

2. Spark hangs every now and then (I don’t know if this is related to the spark.jar or to something else in the 2.6 beta). Is there a way I can help someone solve this problem by enabling debug-logging or something?

3. On my PC the online/away status is mostly wrong (I don’t know if this is related to the spark.jar or to something else in the 2.6 beta).

4. If you switch between tabbed and stand-alone the active messages become history.

Any chance for an update to this patch to match one of the newer revisions?

All i can tell is that this patch will be split to parts (history fix, stability and emoticions fix, tabbedpane feature).