Sparkweb and openfire?

Hi Guys,

I am very new to the forum and the products. I have downloaded the sarkweb and put it into my directory ( i am using Wamp ). The sparkweb is starting fine and asking for login details. I have put this in the file got from some other discussion here :-

function jive_sparkweb_getConfig()
{
return {
server: “localhost”,
connectionType: “socket”,
port: “5222”,
autoLogin: “false”,
username: “admin”,
password: “admin”
};
}

I am still not able to login in with these details. Can you guys help me out. Should i install openfire first to run this ? how can i add users to this ? i also tried to create the users by clicking on the create account link on the page. But still it says not able to create. Please help me out

Thanks

SparkWeb is a client. You need a xmpp server to connect to (Openfire or else).

We are using Apache as our webserver. Will it not work ?

viveknarula wrote:

We are using Apache as our webserver. Will it not work ?

No. SparkWeb is not a chat software out of the box, it’s only a client part. You need a xmpp (“jabber”) server to connect to. It doesnt have to be on the same server, or it can even be some public available jabber server.

As woot said SparkWeb is a chat client. It needs to be configured to connect to a XMPP chat server. SparkWeb will run fine in apache. Your config is not correct though. It should look more like this:

function jive_sparkweb_getConfig()
{
return {
server: “chatserver.domain.com”,
connectionType: “socket”,
port: “5222”,
autoLogin: “false”,
};
}

You can run your own chat server by downloading Openfire.

Okay, that’s fine we have to install Openfire with Xmapp to run the Sparkweb on the server.

I need one more thing to know regarding user management. Actually we are planning to built an small community site for our university. So how could we use the users. Suppose i have 5 friends out of 1000 members of my website. I would like to show only those 5 friends in my messanger list. We are building it with PHP. I know we have to extract it from the databases ( MySql ). So is this possible to directly integrate the sparkweb users list to the database ( MySql ) to show differnet friends in different members’ buddy lists on SparkWeb.

Please advice.

Thanks !!

I am not a coder, but i think everything is possible. Do you already have a database with userbase? In that case, if you want Openfire to use that database you will probably need to create some Providers to link existing database. But that’s a tech. question that i have no experience. I just hear about that on the forums time to time. Also you can have a separate database for that. With Openfire you can have shared groups of users, so the member of that group is getting his conctacts in client (e.g. SparkWeb) automatically on login. Also you can edit every user’s roster in Administration Console. If this is possible there, so it should be possible programatically. The last comment would be, that you will have to integrate database with Openfire server. You cant integrate SparkWeb directly with database. As it was said above, it is only a client supporting xmpp communication provided by xmpp server.