Spurious gtalk unavailable presence messages

First off, thanks so much for a great product – openfire + gateway is exactly what I need for what I’m working on.

The problem I’m seeing is that the google talk transport seems to send spurious “unavailable” presence updates for gmail users who are merely idle. I have a gmail account (let’s call it user1@gmail.com) that has exactly one other gmail user in its roster (let’s call it user2@gmail.com). When I log into my local openfire server, I can exchange messages and presence information with user2@gmail.com just fine. However, after user2 (who is logged in, say, via gmail) is idle for roughly 15 miuntes, it seems that the transport sends a spurious unavailable message. Here’s the log lines and the message my client sees:

2008.03.21 15:36:12

Updating status for 2008.03.21 15:36:12

gtalk: Sending packet: <presence

to=“test@fritz-schneiders-computer.local”

from=“user2\40gmail.com@gtalk.fritz-schneiders-computer.local

type=“unavailable”/>20

My client receives:

<presence from=‘user2\40gmail.com@gtalk.fritz-schneiders-computer.local’ type=‘unavailable’ to=‘test@fritz-schneiders-computer.local’/>

I can verify by inspection that user2 is not, in fact, idle. And I never see this presence message from gtalk if my client connects to it directly.

I have openfire 3.4.5 and gateway 1.2.2a. I would send a packet trace but wireshark breaks my interface for some reason at this point.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Looks like the loglines got garbled. Here they are again:

2008.03.21 15:36:12 Updating status [unavailable,null] for

2008.03.21 15:36:12 gtalk: Sending packet: