Start new message audit log every day?

Can wildfire be configured to start a new message audit log every day?

…The message audit page only seems to support rolling logs based on size not date.

Thanks,

boz

I don’'t have any answers for you other than that as far as I can tell, no.

However, I too am interested in being able to do this so I would be happy to be proven wrong. In the alternative, a feature request for future development would be nice.

I would actually do this by creating a cronjob (Scheduled Task on windows) which moves the log file every night. Would be pretty simple, it just needs to rename the file, probably to something that includes the date, and then openfire should automatically start a new log.

I would do that, except that the XML will then not be properly closed, making parsing it quite difficult.

Anyone can feel free to correct me, but it looks like all you’‘d have to do is add a closing tag to ensure it’'s valid.

When I went to check the log files, I noticed it does appear to be creating new audit logs each day all on its own (v3.2.0)

bemace wrote:

Anyone can feel free to correct me, but it looks like all you’‘d have to do is add a closing tag to ensure it’'s valid.

That’‘s a good point, and a bit of a clue-bat in my general direction. You’‘re correct that adding the tag will close the XML and make it parse correctly. That’‘s at least a solution I can work with. I’'ll give your two suggestions a shot and see what happens.

When I went to check the log files, I noticed it does appear to be creating new audit logs each day all on its own (v3.2.0)

This may be an illusion (and if it’‘s happening at lunchtime, doubly so. ), as least inasmuch as my testing has shown. I’'m not sure that I ever ran 3.2.0, so perhaps the behavior is slightly different. But I did run 3.1.1 and now 3.3.0, so I somehow doubt it.

bemace wrote:

I would actually do this by creating a cronjob (Scheduled Task on windows) which moves the log file every night. Would be pretty simple, it just needs to rename the file, probably to something that includes the date, and then openfire should automatically start a new log.

Well, therein lies a problem. Openfire doesn’‘t open a new log when you move the existing log. At least it doesn’'t crash…

It was worth a try anyway. Any other ideas?

I started this thread then got completely distracted. Thanks you all for thinking it over.

If I understand correctly, there is no good solution for this so far. Right?

• wildfire cannot be told to roll log files daily

• a cron job can move the log file, but then wildfire doesn’'t make a new log file

Did you try making a new file with the same (old) log file name? Might wildfire start writing to it?

And if the cron approach is a dead end. Does anyone know how hard it would be to change the wildfire source code to do daily log rolling?

Many thanks again,

,chris (bozmoz)