Status Icon Changes

You may have noticed a change to the status icons today. We used to have a developers group with a gear icon for Jive employees and key community contributors. The problem was that some people were confused about which people were Jive employees and which were key contributors (for example, jadestorm does great stuff for the community, but he does not work for Jive).

We decided to split the two groups and add fancy new icons.

• Jive employees have the Jive megaphone.

• Key community members / key contributors have an Ignite Icon

• Everyone else has a status symbol with the number of bars indicating participation in the community over time.

And you gave rights to post/convert documents, attach images and files, etc. to all the key contributers or was it a mistake?

Ah yes, I gave you guys the power! This is an open source community, after all.

Just know that anyone who abuses it can say bye-bye to their cool Ignite status icon

Like with su, don’t mess anything up and you can quietly keep using the power

I was just a little surprised to see myself among keycontributors (like Ryan, Daniel or LG), cause my contribution was only in forums

Was thinking about a document about bug reporting, but there is already Ninja Dojo stuff in wiki

Answering questions and helping people in the forums is a huge contribution (takes the load off the rest of us ). It is important to have active forum participants within any healthy community!!

I was so sad when the made the first-use warning for sudo on OSX less conversational. For posterity, here’s what it used to say:

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System Administrator.

It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Some of the Linux distros still use something like this. I ran across it recently when using sudo su for the first time on a new box. It’s hilarious.

I think svoisen is taking part in developing XIFF, so maybe he must be a Key Contributor too.

After many months of “sleeping”, that Ignite status icon does imply one thing to me: “Hey dude, wake up and PARTICIPATE!” :_|

aznidin wrote:

After many months of “sleeping”, that Ignite status icon does imply one thing to me: “Hey dude, wake up and PARTICIPATE!” :_|

Does this mean you are going to catch me up with the points?

wroot wrote:

Does this mean you are going to catch me up with the points?

Already did so!