Strange Groupchat behavior

we have a simple jive server here at work running for some messaging between the people who work. we all use gaim as client and we have problems with the groupchat. i added one in the admin console. we all can connect to it but then when someone leaves anad after some minutes then you cant write no more and then you get a failure code 409. does someone has a idea where the problem could be? thank you

more details… wich Gaim version? Who cant write? Those who stays in chat, or who leaves room? I have notice some buggy chatroom behavior in Gaim 1.1.2. You cant reconnect to the room after leaving it until you Sign Off/Sign On. I have reported this, but havent tested with newer version.

gaim 1.2.1

yes that too that you need to reconnect when you want to go again. the people who stay in chat after some time…could it be cause the first person leaves?

Hey mpreuss,

The 409 error code means that another user attempted to join the room with a nickname reserved for another user or that someone has already joined the room using the provided nickname.

If you are having the second issue and in fact the nickname should be available then I would suggest using another XMPP client since many people reported having this issue with Gaim.

Regards,

– Gato

thanks alot…i thought its a gaim error so i will see if i use a other client. whats your favourite client?

let me guess… Pandion?!:slight_smile:

you can try Exodus, it was improved a lot in new 0.9.1.0 version. I’‘m testing clients again. JBother 0.8.6 looks much much better than 0.8.5 version. Though it’'s not full featured client yet. this client is based on Smack.

Psi is kind a popular client too:) Using it at home, because i can have many accounts launched at once (my testing JM account, my local network jabber chat account and Jive Live Chat account). Havent find such feature in any other client yet.

What else? neos looks very pretty though it had some issues, but there is a new version now, havent tested yet.

Miranda’‘s Jabber protocol is plain, but it’'s in developing again. And JAJC, not bad client, mm maybe too plain design and silly moderator icons in MUC:)

same problem with JAJC 0.0.8.113 (18.01.2005)

It seems when you user closes a group chat that can not reopen and post in that room unless the jive server is restarted. Just logging out of the jive server or closing jajc still leaves the user in the groupchat room they were in.

This is Jive version: 2.1.3, version: 2.1.2 did not have this issue.

Quotes from users and I personaly have this problem

was odd when replying to you my message just posted as error 409

but posted the error 409 or something when i hit enter

closed the main room and tried to relog in and then would not even let me , got the error code with the big red x

Hey Roy,

Many problems have been fixed that could be triggering the problem you are experiencing. Try downloading tomorrow’'s nightly build and let me know if the problem still persists. BTW, are you using upper case letters in the name of the room?

Regards,

– Gato

No caps are not in the room names, I reverted back to the older version as I have to keep my members online, at least they can enter as needed but now get booted about every 10 minutes…

I’‘m using mandrake linux, and the installed using the rpm, how do I install the nightlies. java is with the rpm’‘s only as I understand, and I tryed a tar but it didn’'t work

Hey Roy,

No caps are not in the room names, I reverted back to

the older version as I have to keep my members

online, at least they can enter as needed but now get

booted about every 10 minutes…

Try using the latest nightly build since many bug fixes have been done that could be related to this problem.

Messenger includes a functionality where inactive occupants of a room are kicked from the room. You can control the number of milliseconds to wait before kicking the inactive users. In the admin console click on Group Chat → Other Settings.

I’'m using mandrake linux, and the installed using the

rpm, how do I install the nightlies. java is with the

rpm’'s only as I understand, and I tryed a tar but it

didn’'t work

This question has been made many times. Follow this thread to learn how to install a nightly build: http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/click.jspa?searchID=16072&messageID=94728

Regards,

– Gato

I’'m using the newest version of Jive (2.2.0) and users are using different version of Gaim as well as iChat.

Some users experience the conflict 409 message, and some simply cannot type any messages or see and new messages.

Very frustrating.

Anyone else experiencing the same problems with the most reason version of Jive? Is this a Jive thing or a Gaim thing? I was using ejabberd before, and did not have these problems.

Thanks in advance