Strange MySQL Problems on new installation

I’‘ve seen this error referenced in a few other posts, but, I’‘m not sure if their resolutions apply to this situation. I’'m installing Jive Messenger 2.2.0 beta 2 on a Fedora Core 4 box. I was setting up JM through the admin console and told it to use MySQL instead of the embedded database. When it attempts to make the initial connection, it gives me an error and tells me to check the error.log. Soooo, I do, and this is the error:

2005.07.24 19:09:49 org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider.getConnection(DefaultConnect ionProvider.java:68) Warning: DbConnectionDefaultPool.getConnection() was called before the internal pool has been initialized.

2005.07.24 19:09:49 org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager. java:107) WARNING: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection.

I’'m not sure what else I could be doing wrong. Any ideas? The database exists and has been set up with the included SQL file, the user/password work (at least through the mysql commandline client), and well, everything else seems fine. Thanks!

MysticOne

Hi MysticOne,

Try taking a look at url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=14829this thread[/url], it sounds like it might be similiar to the problem Vince was having. The solution was to upgrade to the (then) newest version drive, Connector/J 3.1.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Ummm, forgive my ignorance, but what would I be upgrading? I’'m using Java 1.5, MySQL 4.1.12, and JM 2.2.0 beta 2. Where is Connector/J in this equation?

Okay, I figured it out. Apparently my machine was identifying itself as “fedora4.install” instead of localhost. So, when it was identifying itself to MySQL, it wasn’'t using the proper hostname. I just edited /etc/hosts to fix it. Someone else here suggested a similar solution in another thread, but theirs was to grant permissions on the other host. So, for those who run across the same thing, maybe this helps you out.

MysticOne

Hi MysticOne,

Glad to hear you got things working.

Cheers,

Ryan