Subscription plugin 1.2.0: java.lang.NullPointerException

I am running Openfire 3.5.0 and have the subscription plug 1.2.0 installed. Whenever I go into the Openfire admin console and attempt to change the subscription option for a user, i get the following dump as soon as I click on Save:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.util.WebManager.logEvent(WebManager.java:117)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.user_002droster_002dedit_jsp._jspService(user_0 02droster_002dedit_jsp.java:113)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:41)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)

at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)

at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)

at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.j ava:828)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)

What is going on here? I am a neophyte when it comes to .jar packages. Is there a bug in this that needs to be corrected?

Andy

I’m having these same issues. Also, for me, the Subscription Plugin doesn’t really seem to be working (subscription requests aren’t automatically accepted).

I’m also seeing this exact same error message. It occurs any time I save a roster item regardless of whether or not it was changed. I did at one point install the subscription plugin but since uninstalled it. This problem first started occurring when I upgraded to 3.5.0. After upgrading to 3.5.1 the problem is still occurring. The changes appear to still be saved despite the error. There was also a problem with the mysql upgrade script from version 14 to 15 (I believe that’s the one) so I had to modify it and perform the upgrade manually to the latest version. I’m not sure if that’s relevant but it might be since the error message refers to some logging issue. Could it possibly be a permissions problem?

I think I figured this problem out. Look at this thread Error Modifying User Roster.