Top 5 Spark wishes for Spark

1 - voip - would really love this feature

2 - video

3 - whiteboarding

4 - skins

5 - choice of all tabbed windows in 1 window - or across multiple windows

(our users often miss messages as they dont realise ultiple tabs are opening in the same window)

6 - (cheeky) - ability to admin verify new accounts

with the addition of "buddy

pounce" like that found in GAIM

as this is not a Gaim users forum and i think not

everyone has used Gaim, you should describe that

feature more. Maybe this is like "Notify me when

contact comes online"?

Yes, sorry about that. “Buddy pounce” allows you to specify actions that take place when a specific buddy changes status (comes online, goes away, returns from idle etc.). Typically the action is to pop up a notification. There is also the option to specify if it should occur just once or indefinitely.

Yes, sorry about that. “Buddy pounce” allows you to

specify actions that take place when a specific buddy

changes status (comes online, goes away, returns from

idle etc.). Typically the action is to pop up a

notification. There is also the option to specify if

it should occur just once or indefinitely.

Spark has “Notufy when available” option. All other stuff can be implemented in separate plugin i think.

EDIT: i think some icon should be put near contact when one selects “Notify when available”. Could be the same as in context menu.

1- WAP version for MS Smartphone / PocketPC

2- MSI installer package OR a way to pre-populate server, port, etc (even an answer file would be cool)

Those are really my only wishes. you already took care of the chat history

OR a way to pre-populate server, port, etc[/i] see http://www.jivesoftware.com/skin/

We use Pandion, but Spark looks interesting – especially with Spark Manager. Here’‘s what’'s keeping me from switching to Spark:

1. Beating a dead horse: Less memory consumption. With just the main roster window open, Pandion consumes 13MB while Spark 1.1.4 gobbles up 48MB. Ouch.

2. Client branding/customization. We currently customize Pandion by doing the following: custom MSI installer; make use of Pandion’‘s brand.xml; custom roster background; custom chat window theme; remove menu options we don’‘t want (can’‘t block/ignore users, can’‘t see debug window). I’‘ve already voted for SPARK-27 and SPARK-252. I’‘ve seen the skinning service, but Spark doesn’'t provide $500/yr more value than we get out of Pandion at this point, so “No Deal, Howie.”

3. Roster and chat window theme that shows avatars (like Pandion). Sorry, but my folks love this. I guess it helps them be less bored. They would shoot me if I took this feature away.

4. Ability to sort or “highlight” groups to force them to sort at the top of the list. Rationale: We have many departments/groups and all groups are shared with all users. If your dept happens to start with a “T” (ie. “Technology Services”), you’'re group is always waaaay down the roster list. For more discussion, see my request[1] on the Pandion pages. I ended up patching[2] this myself in Pandion. Voted for SPARK-29.

5. Auto-reconnect. Voted for SPARK-14.

Those are all showstoppers. So assuming those were fixed and I was using Spark, I’'d have these wishes:

6. Show groups that have no users online.

7. Do away with the “Offline Group” and act more like Pandion. I like being able to see how is offline in a given dept/group. With a few hundred users in your roster, Spark’'s implementation is annoying.

8. Basically copy Pandion’'s broadcast screen so you can broadcast to select users instead of everyone on your roster or everyone in a given group. SPARK-111

9. Sort the roster groups based on description not group name.

10. PubSub capabilities. I think this is the only thing in my list that Pandion doesn’'t do.

Footnotes:

http://forums.pandion.be/viewtopic.php?t=575

http://forums.pandion.be/viewtopic.php?t=843

Updated: Message was edited by hrothgar to reflect changes from Spark 1.1.4 to 2.0.5.

see http://www.jivesoftware.com/skin/[/i]

Tried that but keep getting a “There are no builds at this time” message when I go to the Download page.

Thanks though

“There are no builds at this time[/i]” … This is a public beta, so downloads seem to work only when Derek is in a bad mood. He may want to fix it this morning

edited: not this morning but on Wednesday[/i]

Based on my users’’ grumblings and my own desires…

1. (only partly Spark) More manageability through Spark Manager–ideally, I’‘d like to be able to have full control over what their Sparkplugs and settings are. Not so much to be able to micromanage them, but so that we don’‘t have to configure every single install by hand (my users aren’'t terribly technical, by and large, and would require handholding…)

2. Pluggable emoticon packs. I and my users both find the standard pack a little limited, and it would be nice to be able to just drop in an XML file and a bunch of PNGs and have more available.

3. Nickname support. VCards are nice, but it would be nicer to be able to set your VCard to your full name, and your nickname to what you’'re generally called.

4. Again, not exactly Spark (and I read that the plugin author will be doing more in a little bit when exams are over), but the SparkWords plugin, while nice in concept, needs quite a bit of work. The biggest thing is that it should at least provide an option not to notify if Spark is already in front…

5. …That’‘s all I’‘ve got for now. I’‘m sure I’'ll think of lots more in the future, though

Timothy Collett

1. transport plugins for MSN, Yahoo & ICQ

2. transport plugins for MSN, Yahoo & ICQ

3. transport plugins for MSN, Yahoo & ICQ

4. transport plugins for MSN, Yahoo & ICQ

5. transport plugins for MSN, Yahoo & ICQ

1. transport plugins for MSN, Yahoo & ICQ

those plugins already exist (not made by Jive of course), so Spark only needs ability to register with them.

1. Single Signon

2. Windowed (not tabbed) option for chat windows

3. Jingle (voip)

4. Bugfixes - especially with regards to online/offline status info

5. Ability to hide non-functional options due to use of LDAP integration (the edit/modify options generate a few support calls a week)

1. Windowed (not tabbed) option for chat windows

ah, almost have forgotten about that, this will be my 3) wish

1. Very poor handling of disconnections/reconnections: SPARK-14

2. Difficult to manage history. I hate to pull out comparisons but Kopete use to have terrible history management but now it works pretty well. If you haven’'t access to it I will provide some screenshots. Prior to 1.1.4 I could copy and paste the whole history into an editor and then search for something in there. Now that things have been grouped by date I can no longer find anything unless I want to hunt and peck each date or I know specifically which day what I am looking for took place.

3. Poor handling of input. The windows test users I have can’‘t double click a word to select it, it deselects instantly. I can’‘t input some characters which require the altGr key like backtick, aigue accent (opposite of backtick) etc… shift+insert doesn’'t work to paste.

For me 1) + 2) are showstoppers, 1) being the worst. These have kept me from being able to deploy this beyond the 4 test users I have on it. 3) is mainly an aggregation of annoyances.

I could come up with a few more but those are the reasons why I can’'t yet deploy Spark so I will leave them as such and as my top 3 Spark wishes.

Cheers,

RioGD

Message was edited by: riogd

Hello!

My favorite wishes are:

• VOIP integration (benchmark could be Gizmo project and/or Google Talk)

• Whiteboarding, desktop sharing

• Ini file support to make some sort of customised spark.

• “Command line interface” to make some features possible like integration into the Windows send-To folder

• Outlook integration

I do know, that some more advanced features are not easily possible (both technically and politically) when we want to stay platform independent…

Bye

Starry

Based on feedback from our users, here are my wishes.

1. Auto-reconnect - don’'t bug users when they loose contact with the server. This is the most common complaint I get from users around here.

2. No “Offline Group”, but rather keep contacts in their groups where they belong.

3. Ability to select contacts from different groups to, for example, start a conference. (If you control-click on users in one group and then on another group, the contacts in the first group are deselected.)

4. Several of our Mac users prefer to use iChat. They can see our avatars, but we can’'t see theirs.

5. I wish Spark Manager would do more. Show versions in use, usage statistics, or at least sort the clients in the “Client Version� list by filename or date.

Thanks for the great work!

Hello!

Attention: Exotic stuff!

Many of you know ENUM, the way to map a telephone number to a voip account. Well, according to the docs in this enum domain one can also add an mailto and and XMMP account to it.

http://www.e164.org/about.php

So it would be perfectly possible to build a Spark function and/or plugin which is being fed the phone no. of a new contact. It then queries the official enum.arpa & (not official but often used) enum164.org, finds a XMMP record and adds it to my roster as I had entered it directly. Neat!

I really like the idea but worry about the fact, that although its in the docs nobody ever published his xmmp record when setting up his Enum domain…

What do you think?

Starry

1. Several of our Mac users prefer to use iChat. They

can see our avatars, but we can’'t see theirs.

That’'s a bug. IWe may have fixed it in Smack, so, hopefully it will be fixed in Spark when the next release is made.

Alex

First off, great product, thank you for your time and efforts.

1. Please add an option to remove taskbar entry for Spark, and only have Spark listed in the System Tray, even though[/b] the Spark window is open. This would be like the option available in Winamp, FreeMeter, DU Meter, etc… This is explained in greater depth here: http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=116509&#116509

2. Less memory usage, mine is sitting at 66.5 MB right now, and I’'m not chatting with anyone.

3. Change the amount of time before file transfers timeout.

4. Keep the single chat window with multiple tabs for each person you are chatting with, very efficient, I like it.

Thanks for your time.

Message was edited by: Jnuw

Message was edited by: Jnuw

1. Keep the single chat window with multiple tabs for

each person you are chatting with, very efficient, I

like it.

Nobody is asking to remove it. Just to add additional function to have multiple windows.

BTW, SPOILERS NEXT

In last Live Chat Derek has shed some light on the next major Spark release. Which is based on all the wishes we have made here. So it should have: new GUI (with roster tree instead of popping groups, as i recall this will minimize resource consumption a bit), auto-reconnect, ability to pop chat tabs to a separate windows, offline group handling (i guess the ability to turn it off, so all offline contacts could stay in their groups), of course less memory usage, MSI install and more than i can remember now. Huh, cant wait