Top 5 Spark wishes for Spark

Nobody is asking to remove it. Just to add additional

function to have multiple windows.

I misunderstood, sorry. Good to know, thanks for the clarification. Those new enhancements look great!

Several of my users are finding Pandion to be really nice, so I’‘d second what hrothgar said in relation to that. And, just so I have a free fifth, I’‘ll claim I don’'t care about memory consumption and add

that what I’'d like is to be able to have a single window, containing roster and chats as an option.

Hmm, okay, so he lists 10 things, I’‘ll just choose four from his list. How about #2 (branding/skinning), #4 (ordering groups), #7 (have switch for showing offline users within original group, rather than separate group), and #10 pubsub stuff (although, you guys are going to do that anyway I bet, so that’'s almost a wasted wish!)

How about an extra one: Some of my users feel strongly about being able to differentiate users by color or something, and/or would prefer to use xhtml-im features to provide emphasis for certain messages.

Cheers,

Joe

1. I’‘m Chinese User, inputting Chinese character can’'t show properly. Sometimes, will reversly show.

2. Add “Send Nudge” function like as MSN one. It is useful to remind receiver

3. History Feature - Allow user to keep all sent message. This feature can be enable/disable in Spark

I only have three simple wish for Spark:

1. A built in IAX or SIP telephony capability (not just the dialling function it currently have)
  • configurable as:

a. IM & Built-in Telephony support

b. IM + Separate Hardphone (or Softphone)

c. IM & Built in Telephony support + Hardphone

1. Be able to use either FQDN or the jivewire Server IP Address interchangebly with no impact to the “Dial Button” support

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?threadID=18513[/u]

1. HTTP/SSL session encapsulation using standard ports (on both setup and session, including voice transport if possible) to be able to bypass most FIREWALL rules.

Cheers

Erick

Here is my top 5 issues. Some are probably Wildfire changes but I figured I would include them anyway.

1. Less memory used by Sparky!!!

2. Ability to send files to a user when they are offline (Wildfire server will hold file until user logons) We want to move away from users sending files in email.

3. Disable Avatar

4 Silent Install

5 Do not show Jid in roster only full name.

We are testing wildfire and spark right now and I must say I am impressed. Great Job Guys.

We our using Edirectory as our authentication source and all works well. If anyone needs help on getting wildfire working with edirectory please send me a email.

Regards,

Rudy Jaros

I have two big wishes for me -

1. allow connections to multiple servers/accounts (ie - I can be connected to both home & work)

2. allow spark to run in an “offline” mode, where I can disconnect from the server but leave spark running in the systray

Both of these requests reflect behavior of “Psi”, which I end up using for my home & laptop (I use Spark at work, and really like it!)

1. Less memory consumption (thanks for the 1.1.4 improvements!).

2. Video and voice integration.

3. Support for multi-column roster. Our roster is long = lots of scrolling. (we use the Asterisk-IM pluggin for presence so collapsing groups = no presence info)

4. Better client upgrade management/deployment.

5. OK so this isn’'t really a Spark thing, but drag-and-drop call transfers with Asterisk-IM would be amazing…

Keep up the great work!

I don’'t know if anyone else has suggested this before, but I think it would be rather neat to be able to assign different avatar images to status types so my avatar changes with my status (available, busy, away, etc.). Is this something that the XMPP specification allows or can handle?

Thanks again!

1 Less memory usage

2 Support for language translation (most of my user don’'t speak english)

3 Let the user custom their rooster with only the contacts they need

4 Users not connected are not showed and not listed in the offline group

Alway thanks for your work

So far, the following are leading the pack.

1. Less Memory.

2. Remove the Offline Group and place offlines users into their own group. Make this toggleable.

3. Auto-reconnect - Remove the annoying disconnect dialog.

4. Avatar Support in Roster.

5. Better server management of Spark.

Thanks for your reply

Any chance for different language support?

Hi Luca,

We are tentatively scheduled for the international release at the end of June. I’'m not going to be making a “promise”, but hopefully

-Derek

Hi ddman and really thank for the very good news. At least the best i can do now is to propose myself for italian translation.

We use gaim in house - I was looking at this cos one of our sysadmins was looking at the wildfire server. I really like th emanaged rollout of spark (even though not implemented by us, it sounds cool).

I don’‘t know enough about IM, and don’'t use it enough to really be useful, but the very first thing that struck me was how pretty it looked - nice work.

The one thing I would like to see, and it’'s kinda obscure, but:

1. in the tabbed view of conversations, I would like to be able to move the tabs from the top to the left hand side of the window. I can do this in GAIM and it’'s kida nice - easier on the eyes.

2- MSI installer package OR a way to pre-populate

server, port, etc (even an answer file would be

cool)

Hi, this is easy already, I have done this.

Use WinInstall to create an MSI, and deploy that to the workstations vi Group Policy.

I have written a script that checks if Spark is installed, and if the settings.xml doesn’'t exist it creates it using logged on username, pre-defined servername etc.

So when the user launches Spark for the first time they just need to enter their Active Directory password (we use LDAP-AD authentication) once, and thats that.

Let me know if you want a copy of the script.

Ben

Ben it will useful also for me to have a copy of the script. thanks a lot.

Hello!

Having a small document on the documenation page for this very script would be real nice!

Bye

Starry

Ben it will useful also for me to have a copy of the

script. thanks a lot.

Ok you can download it here: http://www.willcoxonline.com/sparkstart.bat

I have a group policy set which runs this batch file at user logon.

The ^ (caret) symbol is used as the escape character to allow outputting the < and > character if you are wondering why it looks strange.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ben

1. Memory Consumption

2. Single Sign On (Use current windows logon credentials to connect to server)

3. Silent Reconnect

4. Service Registration Support

5. MSI Installer Package (Allow enterprises to control deployment and configuration via GPO)

And thanks to the Jive team for a really great product!

I only have 2 big wishes right now:

1.) I need to be able to centrally manage the clients. Using SparkManager would be fine but another plugin would also suite me just fine. To control settings like Start with windows, start in systray, auto login, etc

2.) (And this is a BIG one) Some sort of Active Directory integration. I would like to be able to select users in AD to have IM rights and have them authenticate against AD or at least to the current user logged into the computer.

Manually entering in 100 users into wildfire and trying to walk each of them through settings in Spark is a bit of a pain.

Most of my others “wishes” have been addressed either here or in current development (like the custom branding beta that will turn into the $300/year feature)