Transport Support (Again)

I know that there are many people here who would like to see Spark support transports, ie. service registration. For those of you who do not know, this would allow, among other things, for you to connect via Spark to AOL, MSN and Yahoo chat services using publicly available gateway/transport services.

A new Issue Tracker item was created for this feature, so if you would like to see it happen, go and vote for it!

Spark - 333

-Erik

Hi All,

Actually the latest Spark will have transport support in it. (We use it in house) and a new beta will be made available shortly.

-Derek

Personally, I don’'t want or need this. We are wanting to use Spark for in-house only IM with no external connectivity. So if it is added, it should have an administrative off switch or way to not install the feature.

See!?! See the power of democracy right before your very eyes!? Boy oh boy, what a wonderful intenet we live in.

scottwilkins wrote:

Personally, I don’'t want or need this. We are wanting to use Spark for in-house only IM with no external connectivity. So if it is added, it should have an administrative off switch or way to not install the feature.

I may be wrong. But i think Spark transports will work only with Jive’'s Gateway plugin, so if you dont has one, transports wount work. Derek?

wroot wrote:
scottwilkins wrote:

I may be wrong. But i think Spark transports will work only with Jive’'s Gateway plugin, so if you dont has one, transports wount work. Derek?

Actually, any client that supports transports should be able to connect to any gateway. While I agree it’'s nice to be able to turn features off (or simply not install them, as in the case of the gateway plugin) the best way to lock clients down is to configure your firewall to block all IM traffic from leaving/coming into your network. One of the cool things about the gateway plugin is that you can configure it so only certain users can connect to external IM networks, this is handy if someone, say your boss has to be able to talk to people in the outside world even though nobody else can.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Will there be a beta 3 release with this feature before it goes final?

Guess not. One week until release and not in a beta?

Hi Veg,

It’'s already in the beta. You just need to point to a server with Gateway support and you will be presented with gateway options.

-Derek