Trouble monitoring openfire with JMX/RMI

Greetings all: I read the instructions at http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1033, and am trying to get JMX to work. The reason I’m gunning for JMX as opposed to other monitoring methods is the desire to monitor the service with ManageEngine Applications Manager 9.

AppManager (in it’s infinite helpfulness) gives me no error other than “the service is down”, and JConsole will do the initial connection (draws the window with all of the tabs), but as soon as it enters stage two (I believe when it tries to initiate the second TCP connection), it instantly fails and offers to retry indefinitely. The firewall is down on the server (this is in my test environment - don’t worry!), it’s all on the same subnet, and an unmanaged switch between me and the server.

I have these parameters passed to my java virtual machine at startup:

“-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx384m -Xss128k -Xoss128k -XX:ThreadStackSize=128 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=1099 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false”

I’m using: java -version
java version "1.6.0_17"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 14.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

And openfire 3.6.4 installed via the tar.gz.

Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Note: I’d appreciate guidance for my memory values as well, if you’re willing to offer. I support about 100 users, with a few plugins (one of which I suspect to be a memory hog).

Thanks in advance!

Shameless bump?

Hah. I had:

127.0.0.1 localhost

in my /etc/hosts, which throws off JMX.