Unable to add new groups

I have just installed WIldfire and got AD integration working surprisingly quickly.

When I go in to create a shared group so we can push a contact group down al I get is ‘‘Error - check error log for details’’

The error is posted below, any ideas?

2006.06.16 12:59:09 [org.jivesoftware.wildfire.admin.group_002dcreate_jsp._jspService(group_002dcre ate_jsp.java:196)

]

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.createGroup(LdapGroupProvider. java:68)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.group.GroupManager.createGroup(GroupManager.java:119)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.admin.group_002dcreate_jsp._jspService(group_002dcrea te_jsp.java:146)

You are retrieving your groups from your LDAP server using the LdapGroupProvider.

You need to create the group in your LDAP tree and it’'ll show up on your wildfire server.

You cannot create a shared group in Wildfire when using LdapGroupProvider because wildfire only deals with the LDAP tree as read-only.

Jeff

Ok I follow that, I assumed Wildfire stored contact groups locally if they were created.

All my IM users are in a group, How do I push this group out to all the clients? When I go to view groups I get none showing?

Or is this operation not supported when using LDAP because of the read only nature of the link?

Having trawled through the various threads on this type of issue I now get a group appearing but it has no name, which field do I need to populate to get this to display.

I am guessing the reason I cannot edit the group (I get a 500 internal server error) is because the group name is a blank.

Ok I follow that, I assumed Wildfire stored contact

groups locally if they were created.

No, if you enable LdapGroupProvider, all group operations go to LDAP, and that provider treats LDAP as read-only, so any operations that would make any changes will return an error along the lines of OperationNotImplemented (or whatever the error type is).

All my IM users are in a group, How do I push this

group out to all the clients? When I go to view

groups I get none showing?

In the Admin page, if you go to Group Summary, you should see a list of groups defined in LDAP. Click on the one you want, make sure that “Enable sharing group in rosters” is selected, make sure that “Group Display Name” has something filled in (this is the group name that will appear in the roster of the users). Then select which of the three options you want as to who’‘s rosters this group will appear in. There has been some confusion in other threads of the exact semantics of these three options, and I don’'t recall the conclusions, but they are there and you can figure out which you want, probably. At the bottom of the page, you should see the members of the group as pulled from LDAP.

Or is this operation not supported when using LDAP

because of the read only nature of the link?

It should work, module vaguaries of LDAP support in the server as a whole (I’‘ve had some hangups in the server that I believe are due to LDAP issues, but I haven’'t been able to track down exact causes as of yet).

Jeff

Jeff,

I have managed to get it to pull a group through but in the ‘‘Name’’ field it is blank. Then when I click on the edit button by the group I get an ‘‘Http 500 internal server error’’ message.

I am guessing this is because the group has no name. I have tried mapping to various AD fields and giving it time to propogate (after restarting the service) and it stays blank, very frustrating!

The Group that is being used to control access to IM is called staff, the group I want to use for contacts is called IMusers.

This is my XML:

<![CDATA[
(&
(objectCategory=Group)
(objectClass=group)
(memberOf=cn=staff,cn=Users,DC=curriculum,dc=ras,dc=local)
(member=)

)

]]>