Unable to connect to OpenFire server

I am deploying a new OpenFire chat server for a client. I’ve installed Spark without issue on all computers except 3. All 3 give an unknown connection error. Here are the details of the error:

org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$XMPPErrorException: XMPPError: conflict - cancel
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$XMPPErrorException.ifHasErrorThenThrow(XMPPException.java:185)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$XMPPErrorException.ifHasErrorThenThrow(XMPPException.java:179)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:268)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:219)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.bindResourceAndEstablishSession(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:596)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.loginInternal(XMPPTCPConnection.java:443)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.login(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:546)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:1128)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$900(LoginDialog.java:370)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$3.construct(LoginDialog.java:910)
	at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker.lambda$new$1(SwingWorker.java:139)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

As a test, I installed Pidgin on one of them and it connected fine. I have Spark configured exactly the same as all the other workstations, so I have no idea why these three are different, and googling the error details hasn’t turned up any hints. If I have to, I can go back through and install Pidgin for everyone, but we’re talking about 20+ workstations. I’d rather fix these 3 if possible. For now, I think I will put Pidgin on them just so they have something to use until this can get figured out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The error suggests that there is some kind of conflict during authentication. This could have various causes. Try reviewing the Openfire log file for details.

Are you trying to log in with the same username from different machines. This typically should not be a problem. As a quick check, try making sure that the ‘resource’ value is distinct for each computer, by playing with these options in the Spark Advanced Connection Preferences:

Hey guus. Thanks for responding. We actually ended up switching everyone to Pidgin. It’s easier for them to log in new users and set up the settings they need. I hadn’t been putting anything in the resource field, and it looks like the server generates a resource ID for them when they log in. Maybe this had something to do with the issue? I’m sure this post will help some other newbie!