Unable to Locate Groupname when using Active Directory Integration on a sub domain

Hi all.
Let me preface by saying I am very new to OpenFire and XMPP, we just stood our first server up.
We are running OpenFire 4.8.0 on RHEL 8. We have OpenFire integrated with Active Directory for user logins. We are having a lot of memory issues so far, the service will spike to using all available RAM on the server (16GB total) and then crash.
In the openfire logs I see a lot of Username lookup errors. It seems to be caused because our user logins all live at example.com but our server is setup as chat.example.com. Here is a log snippet with domain names changed.
Most of our uses are using Gajim as the client and the group chat XMPP addresses are being automatically generated

024.03.22 05:28:37.408 ERROR [Jetty-QTP-BOSH-11779]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider - Username axiwuxor@chat.example.com not found
org.jivesoftware.openfire.user.UserNotFoundException: Username axiwuxor@chat.example.com not found