Unable to log in to Administration Console - HTTP Error 500

When I attempt to log into the Admin Console I get the following after entering the admin credentials and clicking Login.

HTTP ERROR: 500INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR
RequestURI=/index.jsp

Caused by:

java.io.IOException</h3></h3>at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SSLConfig.getKeyStore(SSLConfig.java:155)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:291)<br/><br/>
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)<br/><br/>
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:491)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1074)<br/><br/>
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)<br/><br/>
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:41)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:365)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:185)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:689)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:391)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:146)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:285)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:457)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:751)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:500)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:209)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:357)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:329)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:475)<br/><br/>

My openfire server has been doing this for some time now. I can upgrade to the next version and the problem will go away for a while but inevitably comes back. This has occurred thru several different versions of openfire. Reinstalling and setting it back up will sometimes temporarily solve the problem. The IM clients are not affected while this occurs.

Server is running Fedora Core 5, Openfire was installed via RPM, using a local mySQL DB for everything, no network authentication, pretty basic no-frills install…

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,

does it help to restart Openfire without upgrading to a new version?

Do you see startup errors when you restart Openfire?

LG

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, restarting Openfire(and/or the server) doesn’t remedy the console login issue. The error.log and warn.log files look like they are full of entries but it all looks like jibberish to me.

If you think you can help by looking through them I posted them on our company’s website…

error.log

warn.log

Thanks for your help!

• Jestin

Hi Jestin,

these line look interesting - I assume that you did start the server

2007.09.27 17:35:47 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SSLConfig.(SSLConfig.java:81)] SSLConfig startup problem.

storeType:

keyStoreLocation: /opt/openfire/resources/security/keystore

keypass: ****

trustStoreLocation: /opt/openfire/resources/security/truststore

trustpass:

java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect

I guess that you don’t want to publish your keypass on your web page, I did change it to NmmmNm here, the default is always changeit but it looks like one did change it. I wonder if it helps to set the Openfire property xmpp.socket.ssl.keypass to NmmmNm.

LG

Oooops, thanks for not posting that back up here

I’ll try to fix that error the best I can without being able to get into the console. Do you think that could be causing the login issues?

I just went looking for that property in the DB and xmpp.socket.ssl.keypass is already set to NmmmNm… It’s quite possible that I’ve messed up the keystore files throughout the multiple uninstall/reinstall cycles…

I’ve just installed OpenFire 3.3.3 on a fresh CentOS5 and it worked at first but now fails when I try to login as an administrator. Clients are working fine, I just can’t log into the console.

HTTP ERROR: 500INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/index.jsp

Caused by:

java.io.IOException
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SSLConfig.getKeyStore(SSLConfig.java:155)
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:291)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

The error log shows this message immediately before the error -

2007.10.02 20:46:36 org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.ClientSession.createSession(ClientSession.java :247)

I have debugging enabled but the debug log doesn’t appear to show anything interesting.

I recreated the keystore and it is working now. Haven’t had the problem re-occur.

I’m back up and running too. The login issue had to do with the keystore passwords being incorrect, once that was corrected I was able to log in fine.