Unable to login to admin console & openfire.xml seems to be not configured

So I’ve had openfire installed on a server for ages now, since it was wildfire. It wasn’t used for a few months, and recently we went to get back into it, but were unable to login. I went to the server, and tried to login to the admin console, and was unable to. It wouldn’t take the administrative password. So, I uninstalled openfire, and installed the latest version. It installed fine, and I got it through the initial setup fine. (Windows 2003 server, embedded database, intigrated with Active Directory) I added two admin users, and tested them both. Openfire restarted, and again I couldn’t login to the admin console.

Error Message:

Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator

I looked at the openfire.xml file, as I saw in the forums the problem can often be traced there. My file seems to be a bare sample file, and not configured at all.

I attached the error log. The info log looks about the same, and the warn log basically shows a bunch of failed attempts to login.

I’m guessing my openfire.xml file should be filled in, and that might be causing the problem, but shouldn’t the program install and setup have done that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

openfire.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
This file stores bootstrap properties needed by Openfire.
    Property names must be in the format: "prop.name.is.blah=value"
    That will be stored as:
        <prop>
            <name>
                <is>
                    <blah>value</blah>
                </is>
            </name>
        </prop>     Most properties are stored in the Openfire database. A
    property viewer and editor is included in the admin console.
root element, all properties must be under this element
Disable either port by setting the value to -1

en

Network settings. By default, Openfire will bind to all network interfaces.
      Alternatively, you can specify a specific network interfaces that the server
      will listen on. For example, 127.0.0.1. This setting is generally only useful
       on multi-homed servers.
<network>
        <interface></interface>
    </network>
  • org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider

true

error.log (99825 Bytes)

Hey Kurt,

As you can see in the logs you are hitting this exception:

java.sql.SQLException: Access is denied: Session is closed

That means that the database is not letting you perform the operation the server requested. This is a permission problem. Make sure that the database user you specifed has access to the database and the tables.

Regards,

– Gato

some of the errors state the database is already in use. Do you have openfire running twice. Maybe it is running i 2 different terminal sessions or you created and started the serve and the gui application at the same time. You can only have one thing running. Secondly I would do away with the embedded db and switch to MySQL or some other external db. You can administer the db more easily, and it is rather easy to access its data to verify it is working.

I checked the embedded-db folder in the openfire directory. The administrator had full permissions, but just to be sure for testing it, I added “everyone” with full permissions. There are only 4 files inside, openfire.lck, openfire.log, openfire.properties, and openfire.script. All are 1KB except for the script, which is 12KB. After adding everyone to the permisions list, I still couldn’t log back in. Here is the openfire.log from teh embeddd-db folder:

/C7/SET SCHEMA PUBLIC
CONNECT USER SA
/C8/SET SCHEMA PUBLIC
CONNECT USER SA
/C9/SET SCHEMA PUBLIC
CONNECT USER SA

Openfire was only open in the console session. Once I closed that down, http://127.0.0.1:9090/login.jsp wouldn’t load anymore, so it looks like it isn’t loaded anywhere else.

Any other thoughts?

I would still say switch to MySQL there are good gui tools for windows if that concerns you. I have mine running in MySQL on server 2003. You can then see if the data is being written to the database or not and what data is being written.

I’ve been trying to keep it simple with the embedded database. We only have 20-30 users at most that use it, and the embedded database has worked fine for years.

If you think a mySQL database will help, how do I go about switching? Do I need to re-install openfire and go through setup again? I don’t have much experiance with mysql, so do I need anything special to setup and access it?

You will need the admin package: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

You will need the server: http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-5.0/mysql-essential-5.0.67-win32.msi/fr om/pick

Once installed you can use the mysql administrator to create the catalog, create a user, assign the user full rights to the catalog you created.

Then cause the openfire setup to re-run by editing the openfire.xml setup tag to read false. To do this stop openfire, edit the file, save it, start openfire.

Go to the admin site and step through the config but now point to the external MySQL database. I would install MySQL on the same server as openfire to ease the setup.

Stop the server and delete the openfire.lck file. Restart the server and see how it goes.

– Gato

So I downloaded and installed both packages. As part of the install, it configured a initial database.

Now I go to Administrator, and it wants a server host, port, username and password. All I setup in the initial config was a root password. For the host I entered the IP address of the server, used port 3306(default) and the server name.domain.local. For the username I used administrator, and then the root password I setup.

When I use the IP address / administrator / root password, it seems to connect, and gives this error message

Could not connect to the specifid instance

MySQL Error Number 1120

Host ‘name.domain.local’ is not allowed to connect to the MySQL server.

If you want to check the network connection, please click the ping button

A ping brings back a positive result, this is all being done on one machine.

Thoughts?

I deleted the old one, restarted the server and tried to login. No luck. I looked, and openfire.lck is back.

The .lck file will always be created when Openfire is running. The problem happens when the .lck file still exists after Openfire was stopped. So when the server starts again it complains saying that the .lck already exists and it assumes that another process is using the embedded database. Anyway, I also recommend going with an external database.

– Gato

The openfire.lck file definetly doesn’t delete when the server stops.

If you direct help with this I could remotely connect to assist. I have done this for other community members in the past. The attached flash video may help though.
openfire-mysql.swf (4639305 Bytes)

Guys,

I am having an issue similar to the one listed in this thread. Since the chat is down, I will seek support here.

My question is as follows:

How do I ‘reset’ the Internal Database being used by Openfire?

I have the following error in warn.log:

root@jabber:/var/log/openfire# tail -f warn.log
2008.10.01 09:42:34 Property ‘ldap.groupMemberField’ as specified in openfire.xm l differs from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.
2008.10.01 09:49:25 Admin console: Using RSA certificates but they are not valid for the hosted domain
2008.10.01 09:54:56 Property ‘ldap.groupMemberField’ as specified in openfire.xm l differs from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.
2008.10.01 09:55:19 Property ‘ldap.groupMemberField’ as specified in openfire.xm l differs from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.
2008.10.01 09:55:31 Property ‘ldap.groupMemberField’ as specified in openfire.xm l differs from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.
2008.10.01 09:55:41 Property ‘ldap.groupMemberField’ as specified in openfire.xm l differs from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.
2008.10.01 09:55:52 Property ‘ldap.groupMemberField’ as specified in openfire.xm l differs from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.
2008.10.01 09:56:01 Property ‘ldap.groupMemberField’ as specified in openfire.xm l differs from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.
2008.10.01 09:56:07 Property ‘ldap.vcard-mapping’ as specified in openfire.xml d iffers from what is stored in the database. Please make property changes in the database instead of openfire.xml.

Thanks,

profx