Unable to upgrade Openfire or uninstall. (newbie linux user)

Hi recently ive installed Openfire and i needed to upgrade to Openfire 3.6.0a.

To install openfire i used this tutorial located: http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2007/08/howto-install-openfire-xmpp-jabber.html

Now when i came to upgrade i ran the following command:

/etc/init.d/openfire stop

To my knowledge the server should be down, but for some reason or another my client “Spark” was still able to connect and the service says the deamon is stopped. Wierd i know, as i only installed one instance of the software.

So what i want to do, is start again with a fresh install, and remove the previous install guided by the above link. I dont know how to reverse engineer the above guide, and as a nwebie to linux i tried “apt-get remove openfire” with no success.

I am running Ubuntu Server 8 LTS and am also using an external mysql database for Openfire.

Can anyone tell me if there is an automated install package such as apt-get install openfire ??? This would be a lot easier as then all i have to do to upgrade is “apt-get upgrade openfire”, i think. lol.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

That tutorial describes how to install Openfire with tar.gz package. Actually it’s not an installation, tar.gz is just an archive, which has to be extracted somewhere and then you can run Openfire. Also that tutorial shows how to create Openfire daemon in Ubuntu, so it would start on system boot.

To use apt-get you have to use rpm installer. Also such rpm package should be in Ubuntu repositories. And i’m not aware if such exists. Rpm package can be downloaded in Download section on this site. But you will have to use other syntax (not apt-get, but plain rpm commands). You can find rpm command syntax checking its help section. If you want to use rpm package in future, you will have to remove extracted tar.gz version. backup everything first, then just delete /opt/openfire catalog. Install rpm package. Copy old database from backup, if you are using embedded database, copy /conf directory content and security sertificates if you are using such.

Then you should be able to do rpm upgrades when new version appears.

I am un-able to execute the binary rpm package.

I get the following error while executing; rpm -ivh openfire-3.6.0a-1.i386.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:
/bin/sh is needed by openfire-3.6.0a-1.i386

sh-3.2# sh rpm -ivh openfire-3.6.0a-1.i386.rpm
/usr/bin/rpm: /usr/bin/rpm: cannot execute binary file

Any ideas what’s going wrong? I’ve deleted my /opt/openfire now, but strangely enough the folder /opt/openfire keeps recreating its self with the following structure:

/opt/openfire/index/main/segments

What is Jetty ? Some kind of Java Host?

I need to remove the whole lot and start again, hopefully using a .rpm package

Please remember I’ve no desktop to work with Ubuntu Server 8 so it’s all command line.

Thanks.

So, maybe it’s still runing. Try removing symlink from init.d and restarting the computer, so you will be sure it;s not running and then delete. I cant understand why it creates those things in /opt/openfire.

As about rpm not working, this is probably because Ubuntu doesnt support it (i dont know much about Ubuntu, so i couldnt tell that at once). Here you can find that you should convert rpm to deb Installing using an RPM file | Ubuntu Blog

Jetty is in a few words a web/servlet server. Openfire’s Administration Console works on Jetty.

Code5 wrote:

Please remember I’ve no desktop to work with Ubuntu Server 8 so it’s all command line.

This is actually good. Cmd will let you learn what you are doing

Am i able to remove Jetty or does it have dependancies else where? and if so how do i remove it, the same way as Openfire?

The reason i want to remove Jetty is because its giving me errors.

The only thing i know its required for is Openfire, on my system.

Cheers.

Jetty is integrated with Openfire, so it will be removed when you remove Openfre. The thing that Jetty is giving you errors means, that Openfire is giving the errors. What Jetty errors do you see? Is it in Admin Console?

The first thing is im still getting administrative emails from Openfire or Jetty saying :

WARNING: service not running (server: web9.local, port: 9090)!

Its spammed me with them, 48 to be precise, lol.

How can it say the service is not running if the service does not exist? Does it use some kind of cron-job?

When i installed Openfire on my Ubuntu Server 8 Server, it was just extracted to the path /opt/openfire and few other syntax`s were used during the tutorial to set it up, such as pointing /opt/openfire to /etc/init.d/openfire etc. Why this is done i dont know, and as for Jetty, i dont know where that installed to.

Now when i extract the new version of Openfire to /opt/openfire and set it up the plugins are all messed up, and it still says that im not using the latest version .0a, when i am.

Im new to Linux so im finding it a little confusing with directory structures and where different files are called from, for example hee hee, in Windows such librarys are called from /system32 etc and the program may be located in program files but as its linux i see the program is called from /opt whatever that stands for, and is executed from /etc/init.d/openfire ? Why?

Thanks for being patient people.

Code5 wrote:

The first thing is im still getting administrative emails from Openfire or Jetty saying :

WARNING: service not running (server: web9.local, port: 9090)!

Its spammed me with them, 48 to be precise, lol.

Not sure where it could come from. Maybe this is your linux system warning you that service couldnt start after you have deleted Openfire. As i said you should remove openfire symlink from init.d (that’s a shortcut to run Openfire as a service, and now this shortcut points to nowhere and porbably that’s what this warning is about)

Now when i extract the new version of Openfire to /opt/openfire and set it up the plugins are all messed up, and it still says that im not using the latest version .0a, when i am.

Try to stop openfire and remove all plugins files and folders (except of admin) from /opt/openfire/plugins, then launch Openfire, connect to Admin Console and install the plugins you need. As about Notification in Admin Console that there is 3.6.0a version to update, this is a known thing, and developer has warned about this in 3.6.0a release thread in forums. Current version naming scheme doesnt allow such version numbers, that’s why it still shows that you have to update. Ignore it for now. With 3.6.1 version everything will be ok again.

Im new to Linux so im finding it a little confusing with directory structures and where different files are called from, for example hee hee, in Windows such librarys are called from /system32 etc and the program may be located in program files but as its linux i see the program is called from /opt whatever that stands for, and is executed from /etc/init.d/openfire ? Why?
Linux also has libraries directories as /lib, /usr/lib, /var/lib. Also, as with windows, applications can hold libraries in their own folders (e.g. /opt/openfire/lib). Some linux distributions intend to hold program files in /opt, some in /usr. Though as with windows, there is no big difference where to hold program files. Dont know what opt means either.

As i mentioned above init.d should be a place for startup items. I’m not familiar with Ubuntu though. You can launch openfire from /opt/openfire/bin/openfire if you want. But that has to be executed manually. And if you put a service of that program to init.d, it will launch automatically on system boot.