Uniform Openfire Roster

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to push a uniform roster to all my users on Openfire without the need to manually adding the users and editting the nicknames? My internal users are setup on shared groups. I also do have some MSN users that I like to add. Therefore, I like to see if I can just setup one user and push that user’s roster for both internal and MSN to all users on my network that uses Spark.

I’m currently running Openfire 3.4.1 with Spark 2.4.7.

Thanks in advance!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Thanks,

Skippy

As you have mentioned “shared groups” you should see an option to share group to All users. This would push some group to all users’ rosters. So, you have to create users, create groups and fill them with users and then you should enable sahring in that groups.

You cant add MSN contacts to shared rosters, MSN is not an account in your server. And moreover, user has to has that MSN contact in his MSN contact list. You cant just share any MSN user to anyone. So every your server user would have to register with MSN (with existing account) through IM Gateway and then add that MSN contact manually to their rosters.

Hi Skippy,

I just want to add some more to what wroot wrote:

You sound like you were trying to make things work from Spark. You should do this in Openfire admin console, like wroot suggested.

Yes. For the nicknames, I was hoping there was a way where all users will have the same nicknames displayed for openfire users instead of manually editing each user’s roster. I apologize if my question wasn’t clear. I wasn’t able to find anyone in Openfire administration to do that.

Thanks,

Skippy

Administration Console > Users/Groups > Group Summary

click on any group to enter settings

check Enable contact list group sharing

enter desired contact list group name

check Share group with additional users

check All users

So as i said. If you want all users to have same rosters you have to add desired users to shared group. You cant share groupless contacts. So if you dont want groups you would still have to create at least one group and put all existing users in there, then share (as described above) it to all and Spark will pull that list and update any changes automaticly.

@wroot

I think what Skippy meant was nickname, not user or JID.

@Skippy

You can’t set nicknames for shared group members (if I understand what you meant). However, that could be a nice to have feature in Openfire.

aznidin wrote:

@wroot

I think what Skippy meant was nickname, not user or JID.

Well, i just dont get it If there is an Openfire server with a database, and users, and groups, so there is no difference to me. If i add some users to group and share it, client will show nicknames. In case that nicknames were specified upon users creation.

Another “well”, that in other topic he/she is mentioning AD, so maybe these users are from AD/LDAP and then i dont know how it works with nicknames. But there is no mention about AD in this thread.

aznidin wrote:

@Skippy

You can’t set nicknames for shared group members (if I understand what you meant).

I dont have so much magical powers for such deep guessing

Changing nickname (or should we call it shared group member’s display name)… dont know, maybe this could be useful for someone.

just to clarify Name and Nickname sounds the same to me. Though in vCard profile they can have different values. Maybe an option to switch shared group to display Nicknames instead of names could be more useful. Though… this could be still controlled by client. Well, this is a topic for another discussion.

wroot wrote:

I dont have so much magical powers for such deep guessing

English isn’t my primary language. I could have put a little too much effort trying to understand, but I could be wrong

aznidin wrote:

English isn’t my primary language.

Neither is mine

Aznidin is correct. I was refering to nickname, not user or JID.

Bummer, it would definately be a really nice feature to have in Openfire. Hopefully that can be recommended or be put in the next release.

Thanks!

Skippy

Agree, that would be nice. Is there an issue to vote?