Update from Openfire 3.5.2 to 3.6.1 or step by step?

Hi there,

i’am running openfire version 3.5.2 and now it’s time for an update

How shall i update? Just copy the newest version 3.6.1 over my install 3.5.2 and proceed with the normal installation or shall i update step by step, meaning from version 3.5.2 to 3.6.0 to 3.6.0a to 3.6.1?

Thanks in advance!

How to update does deppend on which version of Openfire you are using (RPM, EXE, tar.gz, …) and which operating system. You should give us more details.

In any case, an step-by-step update should not be necessary. Also you can copy conf/openfire.xml to avoid running setup again.

well even i was thinking about to upgrade also. but if not possible now. will do it latter.

i am using tar.gz in /opt/openfire and OS is fedora core 9. DB is mysql on localhost. clients is Spark.

give me the step by step instructions.

Coolcat schrieb:

How to update does deppend on which version of Openfire you are using (RPM, EXE, tar.gz, …) and which operating system. You should give us more details.

Hm, ask me something easier :wink: I am using openfire since the version of wildfire 3.x and updated everytime using tar.gz. The inital installation was made by using rpm or tar.gz running ubuntu 6.06.

Of course i am copying my openfire.xml.

Thanks.

currently i am using 3.6.0 and i already said it’s tar.gz in /opt/openfire/.

is there any way to intall 3.6.1 as rpm and move the old one to the rpm that installed new?

if i install new rpm and will shutdown the tar.gz server. and then will start from rpm service. what will happen? atleast it will be easier to maintain the service and update the server if i use rpm.

Openfire update with minimal downtime (CentOS, tar.gz-Version)

Can’t help you with RPM, never used it.

brothers… and sisters… and all others…

i just intalled 3.6.1 rpm and it says me

[root@sagar samba]# rpm -ivh openfire-3.6.1-1.i386.rpm
Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
1:openfire warning: /opt/openfire/conf/openfire.xml created as /opt/openfire/conf/openfire.xml.rpmnew
########################################### [100%]
warning: /opt/openfire/resources/security/keystore created as /opt/openfire/resources/security/keystore.rpmnew
warning: /opt/openfire/resources/security/truststore created as /opt/openfire/resources/security/truststore.rpmnew

and then i did

[root@sagar openfire]# service openfired stop
[root@sagar openfire]# service openfired start
[root@sagar openfire]# nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout

it just updated to 3.6.1

done.

Another successful update from 3.5.2 to 3.6.1 via rpm.

CentOS 5.1, minimal install, local mysql database.

Ran RPM upgrade command, openfire restarted itself, all was good. No issues so far either. Total downtime was under 15 seconds!

Ok, it just worked out fine updating from 3.5.2 to 3.6.1 using tar.gz. Thanks anyway.