Update Openfire (4.1.6 to 4.2.1) in Ubuntu Server

Good afternoon!

I have the following scenario: Openfire 4.1.6, installed on Ubuntu Server 16 x64, with the Postgres 9.6 database
I would like help with the upgrade. From what I read:

1. Stop Openfire - which command on ubuntu server to do stop openfire?

2. Backup the installation directory - what is this directory? I found only the ones listed below, but I do not know exactly.
/ etc / openfire; / etc / default / openfire; /etc/init.d/openfire; / usr / share / openfire; / var / lib / openfire; / var / lib / openfire / plugins

3. Backup Openfire Database - How do I do this using Postgres?

4. Installing new version
I saw in the manual to use “rpm -Uvf xxx”, but this command does not work on Ubuntu.
Using “dpkg -i openfire_4.2.1_all.deb”, will not overwriting the current version erase data? Or is this really the procedure for updating the version in ubuntu?

5. Any special attention to Java?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Thank you very much
Luciano

1. This depends on whether you have it installed as a service/daemon. I’m not familiar with Ubuntu installation, so not sure about that. I guess you can always do /openfire installation directiry/bin/openfire stop. Though, that was true to tar.gz version, maybe deb version doesn’t have binary there.

2. I think usually it’s /opt/openfire. Look inside the directory. It should have .install4j, bin, logs, conf, plugins, resources, etc. directories.

3. That’s not a question for us. You selected this db to use, you should know how to do this. Or search Google how to do backup/dump of such db.

4. Again, not that familiar with Ununtu and running the install via term, but i think it should work and it shouldn’t overwrite the config. If you did the backup, you can try and revert if something is wrong.

5. There shouldn’t be difference between 4.1.6 and 4.2.1. Having up to date Java is always good though.

So Wroot, it was pretty easy to upgrade to ubuntu (debian-based distribution), after reading more about it.

The backup that took the longest, but it follows my final considerations (consider logged in as superuser - root):

1. To stop openfire on ubuntu: /etc/init.d/openfire stop;

2. Backup copy of the openfire installation directory: /usr/share/openfire;

3. Backup Openfire Base in Postgres: If you use the pgAdmin application, right-click on openfire base and click “Backup”. To run backup, it can be with own postgres as user. I recommend tar format, and encoding “SQL_ASCII”.

4. To install the new version: you can actually use the “dpkg -i” command, you will be asked if you want to keep your current version (choose this one), but you will still upgrade (option N or O - keep your currently -installed version).

5. On the java, has a statement informing that from version 4.3 will be necessary Java 8 installed.

I hope to contribute to the community.

Thank you very much,
Luciano

1 Like