Updates and proxy servers

After using Spark 2.0.2 and 2.0.4 for a few weeks, I would like to suggest some enhancements to the “Check for Updates” feature of Spark 2.0.4:

1. It would be useful to allow a separate proxy setting for this. My Jabber server is behind our corporate firewall and proxy, so I don’‘t need proxy settings to connect. But the updates can’‘t be found because it can’'t get through without using the proxy.

2. When I check for updates, there is no helpful dialog. The Spark window just stops responding. Since it can’'t connect (see above proxy issue), it ends up freezing for awhile while it waits for a timeout. The update should run in a separate thread, so I can continue using Spark in the meantime.

3. In the above case, the updater eventually displays a dialog stating that there are no updates. This is not true (or was not, since I was using 2.0.2 and it should have found 2.0.4). The dialog should inform me that it could not connect to the update server.

None of these are especially important, but they would all be nice to have. Unfortunately, “Check for Updates” is useless to me at the current time.