Updating spark in domain

I’m currently tasked with updating all Spark clients in the domain from ver. 2.9.4 to 3.0.2. Due to migrating to a new server, the ip for Openfire has changed (The old one is still intact and everyone in the domain uses it at the moment). I figured out i can just use active directory to install new version for everyone, but im not sure how to do a couple of things:

1. How can i make sure the client launches on startup for everyone
  2. How do i make sure new instance of spark completely replaces the old one
  3. How do i change the IP that the client remembers (Blue box) without changing the login credentials, as they remain the same from old IP (Red box)

You could deploy this via a login script or using deployment tools.
if you don’t care about keeping the users settings, transcripts, etc, and want to make this appear as a clean install…then you’ll want to script the deletion of their spark folder within their user profile folder…
As part of your script, you can copy a default spark.properties that includes the server name and any other preferences you may want to preset. also, don’t use IP address for your server/domain field. you should be using the xmpp domain name.
To have spark launch at startup, there are a few ways to do that as well. I think spark has the option to set that within its settings. you can also copy the short cut to the startup folder in the start menu. You can also add a registry key.

If you really want to get fancy, you can even enable sso via kerberos! :smiley:

1 Like

After a few days of unfruitful attempts to write a script that would delete the 2.9.4 and silently install 3.0.2 , i found out that Spark can update by clicking the “Check for updates” button, but it seems there’s JS that makes it update, and even then it requires administrator privileges, which not all users have.
Installation isn’t a problem, it seems, as it’s just an .msi file that i can shove into GPO and it’ll install on startup no problem (provided there’s no old Spark client??). I’d appreciate advice on how to proceed