Upgrade not deploying to Clients

Trying to upgrade clients from 2.6.0 to 2.6.2. Clients will see there is an upgrade available, click on upgrade now to 2.6.2 and nothing happens. Wondering what I am doing wrong have read hundreds of posts and cannot find any help. Using Openfire 3.7.0 with Client Management for upgrading. Please help.

Thanks,

JJ

In 2.6.0 upgrade is broken (it can’t find an update server), so you won’t be able to do automatic 2.6.0 > 2.6.2 upgrade.

Even clients with 2.5.8 are not grabbing the update. What file is supposed to go in the Program Files (x86)/Openfire/Enterprise/Spark file? I am placing the Spark 2.6.2.exe file in there but clients not grabbing the update. Am i missing something?

It looks like only the upgrades via Client Control are not working. If Client Control is not installed then both 2.5.8 and 2.6.1 are grabbing 2.6.2 version. Via Client Control they see the installer but can’t take it somehow (both 2.5.8 and 2.6.1). Maybe something has been changed/broken in Openfire 3.7.0 and new version of Client Control. This would be hard to fix.

Confirmed to be a Spark issue on 3.7.0. There are lots of error messages in the log.

So to upgrade all clients I will need to touch every PC?

You may deactivate the client control plugin and your clients will load the 2.6.2 release from the igniterealtime server.

That is the correct answer however those without administrative rights, all but 4 out of 40 machines, cannot write to the C: directory. Is there anyway to push this update via .msi or goup policy? Thanks for all the help guys.

We do not have a community member who knows about MSI or has the necessary tools. This is currently preventing an MSI or work on Windows 7 SSO.

Just a comment. Jerrod, even if Spark’s built-in upgrade option would have worked, it wouldn’t help in your case. Because Spark is launched with user’s rights and the upgrade would start with user’s rights and as they don’t have rights to write to Program Files, then the upgrade process would fail. This built-in upgrade tool will only work for users with administrative rights, which is not the case in most of the corporative environments.

MSI and group policy based upgrade would be a better solution, but as Walter said, we currently don’t have a right tool (freeware and without any nag screens or limitations) to produce such Spark installers. You are welcome to produce your own MSI installers for your own use. There are some manuals in the forums about some tools like Advanced Installer, AppDeploy Repackager and others. http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-2126