Upgrading from Wildfire 3.0.1

Hey,

I have Wildfire (Openfire) v. 3.0.1 installed (yes it’s old) and been wanting to upgrade it to Openfire’s current version. Because it’s so old, I know there are special installtion requirements and method. I was wondering how to go about this. I tried searching throughout the site, but really couldn’t find much. I also have a lot of stuff I want to keep intact such as groups, administrative setings, etc. so I don’t want to lose anything and I’m hoping I can just upgrade without having to do little, if any, backups. Thanks

• Greg

Greg,

The upgrade guide is located here: http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/WildfiretoOpenfireUpgradeGuide

There are a couple links at the top of the doc that will get you through the upgrade process, specifically you need to upgrade to wildfire 3.2 first: http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/WildfireUpgradeGuide

As a precaution, make sure that you have made backups first

-Will

I’m in the same - late to the party - boat as you.

Thanks for the link

I am upgrading as well with this same kind of situation.

However, I cannot find the download location for WILDfire 3.2. I’ve tried to google it and it only shows broken links scattered throughout the igniterealtime and internet in general.

As far as I understand, the upgrade path is:

Wildfire 3.0 => Wildfire 3.2 => Openfire 3.3

Where can I find a valid, working copy of WILDFIRE 3.2 to download so I can upgrade my WILDFIRE 3.0?

I sent you an email with an FTP link to get version 3.2.4

OK - that went fairly smooth - the only missing instructions had to do with restarting the service (i run the service) when upgrading from 3.ancient to 3.2.4. Also since I run the server behind the Windows Firewall (on an XP workstation) I needed to add the program exceptions for openfire-service.exe, openfired.exe, and openfire.exe.

The sparkmanager.jar plugin isn’t working which isn’t a good thing. If I don’t discover a workaround I might just revert backwards as having Spark client update control is pretty handy.

edit Found the new Openfire version: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/145463#145463

Message was edited by: sbsguy

Hello,

I am in the same boat, and for the life of me, I cannot find a Wildfire 3.2 download anywhere! Could anyone kindly post the link to the aforementioned FTP site?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

what a coincidence, looks like here many people experience the sama problem.

i also need to upgrade wildfire 3.1.1, to open fire 3.3.3. Yes first i need to upgrade it first to 3.2 (btw i already try to upgrade it directly to 3.3, & yes it failed).

can someone also send me link to me to download wildfire 3.2, too?,

Please, best regards.

eka_suryana,

Looks like they updated this page recently with the correct links to download the wildfire 3.2 file:

http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/Wildfire+Upgrade+Guide

Hope this helps,

Chris

thanks, the link is work.

My apology,

i forgot to tell that my system was running redhat enterprise, so i hope someone can give me the link to download wildfire 3.2 the rpm or tar.gz version.

and i also forgot to tell, that my wildfire setting has been modified a litlle bit. And maybe building from zero to running openfire will made me spent some time to make it works again.

thanks in advance.

ps : sorry, i just realized the link you give was for windows installer. my bad.

My aplogies

again i didn’t realize it also give link to download rpm & tar.gz version.

sorry

I actually got around to doing the upgrade. Here are my comments …PAINLESS. I installed 3.3.2 on another Linux Box and followed the directions in the upgrade guide … moving the necessary files over from Wildfire. Forget about copying over the plugins … When you bring the new system up, go ahead and reload them after you configure the new server via the webtool. When you copy over the wildfire.xml->openfire.xml, make sure you set the attributes (chmod 0755 openfire.xml). If you don’t, the IM server will run when started using …/bin/openfire.sh but will have issues using “service openfire start” because it doesn’t have “write” privilege.

After testing on my test system, I started looking at the file structure and it dawned on me that you can install openfire over wildfire. This is possible because wildfire is stored in /opt/wildfire/… and openfire is stored in /opt/openfire/… The openfire startup files (init.d and /etc/sysconfig) are named openfire so there is no name conflict.

By testing on my test system, I could configure openfire using my postgreSQL and test by pointing a few IM Clients to my test system. When I had a “warm and cozy” feeling, I copied the openfire files (openfire->init.d and openfire->/etc/sysconfig) to my live system and I did the rcX.d files by hand. Did a tarball of /opt/openfire and dumped it onto the live server. Turned off wildfire and started up openfire. The IM client disconnected and reconnected with NO ISSUES.

Hope this helps … thanks for all the comments