Upgrading Openfire 3.3 to 3.4

I have a question for those expirienced in upgrading the Openfire community version.

I’m currently running 3.3 on a Debian box, and I would like to upgrade to 3.4 without having to blow away all my exisiting data?

I can’t find any documentation on how to do an upgrade at all on the forums or in the knowledge base.

Thanks,

Nils

Hi,

You might find this useful: http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/WildfireUpgradeGuide

I’ll try it myself tonight.

Thanks for the reply.

I’m running this in a production environment currently. So let me know how it goes.

Hey Nils,

Upgrading to a new version of Openfire should not make you lose any data in your database. You can find the Upgrade Guide in the documentation page. This documentation is also present in your Openfire 3.4 installation.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi, I just did the update following instructions from

http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/upgrade- guide.html

All went well, but after the update I had to regenerate the

TLS (SSL) Server Certificates before the clients were able to connect. After doing this (just follow instrucitons from the

Server Certificates admin page) everything was fine.

I just performed the upgrade myself. One very important thing to note:

I didn’t blow away the old install directory, and when I restarted Openfire, I got HTTP 500 error messages all over the place regarding Java. I deleted the entire directory and then re-installed and copied the configs/database back and it worked fine.

It’s pretty easy to re-install the plugins anyways.

Nils

Here is a script I use to update my Debian Etch box after extracting the zip file. I still need to update it copy the old audit logs to the new install but I am considering moving them to a different location.

/etc/init.d/openfired stop

mv /opt/openfire /opt/openfire.bak

mv /root/openfire /opt/openfire

cp -R /opt/openfire.bak/conf/ /opt/openfire

cp -R /opt/openfire.bak/embedded-db/ /opt/openfire

cp /opt/openfire.bak/resources/security/keystore /opt/openfire/resources/security/keystore

cp /opt/openfire.bak/resources/security/truststore /opt/openfire/resources/security/truststore

/etc/init.d/openfired start