User search 3.0.0 Alpha -- Bug report maybe

Is this weird or by design?

In the admin console, looking for a user I type in Jeff* for example. It returns that no user name found. But when I go to advanced, and type in Jeff* it returns every Jeff* user on the list. I know this feature worked with 2.5.x, and I remember it working in 2.6.x… is there something it is looking for that is now different?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

with 2.6.2. it is not working.

LG

ok, is there an issue already out there on it or is this somethign that will go away?

Hi Jeff,

I have no idea if it ever worked like you describe here. There are some LDAP search changes for 2.6.2, maybe this did affect the default search behaviour. I’'m using the embedded database anyhow.

LG

Well that would explain alot, I am using LDAP. Yes, it did work I know on 2.5.x. that was one of the original selling points to this group. intergrated search at server level, no external search componants needed. I used to be able to put in a name and search against the LDAP and find items. now I have to use advanced search…

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Looking back, though I have not dug extensivly, I can’'t tell if it ever worked. I just wanted to clarify to make sure we are talking about the same things when you refer to “in the admin console”, you are refering to Users/Groups->Users->User Search correct? And when you say advanced, you are refering to the search plugin?

Thanks,

Alex

under the admin console > user/groups> user search> and type in jeff* for instance. I do see where if I type in Jeff Garner, it will return my entry, but if I am trying to search for Jeff for instance it give me User not found. So basically if you dont know the full entered name you can’'t search for a user, which is useless when there are 3500 authorized users, and 88 of them are Jeff…

Under the advance search it will work and return whatever I ask for J**, Jeff**, Jef*…

Jeff (user # 27) lol…

Message was edited by: jeff_garner

Hi All,

I can confirm that the “regular” User Search never worked with wildcards (when using LDAP or a database), hence the addition of the “Advance User Search” as part of the 1.1 version of the search plugin. The two searches use two different APIs, where the regular one, as Jeff pointed out, only works when you know the exact username of the user you’'re looking for.

JM-325 was previously created to make the search pluign be the only search mechanism for Wildfire.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

very interesting. After deleting the search plugin (plugins/search.jar) the 2nd search link really disappeared. The “User Search” is more a “Locate User” than a search.

LG

Hi LG,

When the (regular) “User Search” is replaced by the search plugin’‘s search, the search plugin’'s “Advance User Search” will be renamed to just “User Search”.

I think “Locate User” sounds too much like you want to know where a user is on a map.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ok, so the search plugin will eventually replace the embedded search feature. One question, is it possible to add a field to search in the search plugin. Say, Location?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Where would the information for the location field be kept? In the user’'s vcard?

Thanks,

Ryan

We have that in our LDAP, that was only a question though, I could fill in that blank with “employee ID”, or Division… Just a question so that If I wanted to say search for someone in the AP division to call, it would search and return everyone in that group. Or If I am looking for someone in the Oracle group…

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That sort of functionality is certainly something that could be added but it would require a decent amount of work to implement (depending on flexible it needed to be). If you’'d be interested in sponsoring that sort of work you can email me, ryan@version2software.com to discuss the details further.

Thanks,

Ryan

So this wouldn’'t be something as simple as say adding an entry in the plugin stating the column in LDAP to search for that specific expression? If that is the case, then I can probably live without it. Let me roll the thought around a day or two and I wll get back to you.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

So this wouldn’'t be something as simple as say adding

an entry in the plugin stating the column in LDAP to

search for that specific expression?

No, unfortunately not. What you maybe interested to know is that search plugin doesn’‘t really do any searching itself, rather it acts as a sort of translator between Wildfire’‘s search API and how clients typically handle searches (url=http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0055.htmlJEP-0055[/url]). So, to implement the feature you’'re talking about most of the changes would occur “inside” Wildfire rather than the plugin.

Let me roll the thought around a day or two and I wll get back to you.

Sounds good.

Thanks,

Ryan

Jeff and Ryan,

Just wanted to clarify. It’‘s a little-known feature, but it actually is possible to search on different LDAP fields out of the box. To do this, set the XML propery “ldap.searchFields”. It should be a comma-delimitted list of the fields to search through. If the propery isn’'t set, it will default to searching the username, name, and email fields.

Regards,

Matt

Ack! How did I miss that?! Thanks Matt, for jumping in and setting me straight.

Where would you imput that? the server props?

Jeff,

You’'d set the property in the XML config file.

Regards,

Matt