User Search problem when authenticating users via LDAP

I have been working on setting up a Jive messenger server that authenticates to our Win2k Active Directory servers. I have been successful so far in getting this to work. However I have been having problems getting the search plug-in to function when authenticating via LDAP using the Pandion 2.1.2beta client. When attempting to search for a user the client I get the following messages in Pandion’s console.

When Jive Messenger is configured to use the internal database to authenticate users the search plug-in functions properly with the Pandion 2.1.2beta client.

Any ideas as to why user searchs do not function when authenticating users via LDAP?

I have pasted various error logs and configuration sections relevant to the LDAP configuration.

Begin: From Pandion’'s console -

SENT: The following fields are available for search. Wildcard () characters are allowed as part the of query.User SearchThe following fields are available for search. Wildcard () characters are allowed as part the of query.

End: From Pandion’'s console -

The Jive messenger server outputs the following when I submit the search request.

Begin: From error.log on the Jive messenger server -

2005.11.28 08:55:05 org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:273) Could not route packet

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.replyDataFormResult(SearchPlugin .java:386)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processSetPacket(SearchPlugin.ja va:302)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.handleIQ(SearchPlugin.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processPacket(SearchPlugin.java: 191)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.component.InternalComponentManager$RoutableComponent .process(InternalComponentManager.java:347)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:153)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:75)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.processIQ(SocketReader.java:319)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.ClientSocketReader.processIQ(ClientSocketReader. java:51)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:249)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:115)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

End: From error.log on the Jive messenger server -

I am using the following LDAP configuration with Jive.

Begin: Jive messenger LDAP Configuration settings -

End: Jive messenger LDAP Configuration settings -

Hi Harley,

This issue is related to the setting of a then that exception isn’‘t thrown. I was (finally) able to reproduce this problem locally so I’‘ll be able to do some digging and figure out a solution. I’'ll update this thread when I have more info.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks, I have the same results when I remove the searchFilter in the LDAP configuration. The problem with that is that all objects within the Active Directory are pulled down such as computer accounts. I was authenticating users against a security group to prevent unauthorized users within our organization from using the jive server.

Thanks, I have the same results when I remove the

searchFilter in the LDAP configuration.

Interesting…

The problem with that is that all objects within the Active

Directory are pulled down such as computer accounts.

I was authenticating users against a security group

to prevent unauthorized users within our organization

from using the jive server.

I understand. Would you be interested in trying out a beta of the plugin that seems to fix the problem? Let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan

Sure thing. Let me know how I can help you.