User Summary List Empty at OF Admin

That did the trick, thank you!

Ok excellent.

Wroot or Daryl-- is there a ticket for this already, or should I create a new one? The Openfire team will need to pull the latest jar into their SVN TRUNK. The ticket you referenced Wroot doesā€™t look like itā€™s exactly the same issue, but perhaps will be sovled by the updated jdbc driver as well.

So the request is to update mysql.jar from 5.0.8 to 5.1.26 ? Is 5.1.26 backwards compatiable with mysql versions supported by 5.0.8 ?

it should be, i havenā€™t run into any jdbc drivers yet that arenā€™t backwards compatibleā€¦ and on mysqlā€™s website itā€™s the only jdbc driver they have posted, so assumed it will work with all versionā€¦ But! ā€“ itā€™s better to test and be sure instead of assuming.

I canā€™t restart my openfire right now, but in the morning tomorrow Iā€™ll try this on my setup (mysql 5.1.x) and see what happens.

I agree that testing should be done. Filed as OF-697

Ok, I swapped out the driver on my setup and all is good as far as I can see.

Just to confirm:

Issue: Openfire 3.8.2 included MySQL JDBC Driver 5.0.8, which is not compatible with MySQL version 5.6.x

Fix: Update Openfire MySQL JDBC Driver to version 5.1.26 (latest from mysql website as of today).

Tested: On MySQL versions 5.1.x and 5.6.x and seems to work well.

And we should be thankful speedy for a hint on this issue on this thread http://community.igniterealtime.org/message/232748#232748

Sorry to ressurect a seemingly solved issue - this fixed my problem for the Users/Groups page, but not for my statistics page. Is it possible the solution to this is something similar?

You mean Monitoring plugin? I believe this is a completely different story. This plugin is buggy and sometimes stops working for no logical reason. Unfortunately there is still no volunteer developer to dig into its code and find out what is wrong with it. It stopped working on my production server at some point too (no stats), though it works fine on a test server.

Yeah, thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m talking about - I was hopeful this would solve the issues related to that as well. What is openfire written in? Is there a stream on github or somewhere?

Thanks!

I found that OpenFire does not support MySQL v5.6 because of the ā€œSET OPTIONā€ statement in User-Summary.jsp (and possibly other locations). The SET OPTION was removed in MySQL v5.6.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13023548/mysql-server-version-for-the-right-s yntax-to-use-near-option-sql-select-limit-1

OpenFire works great with MySQL v5.5 and the v5.1.26 or the latest v5.1.28 JDBC drivers.

Was it removed in the recent versions? Because someone reported that Users Summary works fine after updating jdbc driver.

How this should be fixed? If we just remove SET OPTION wouldnā€™t it brake support for older versions of MySQL?

Because someone reported that Users Summary works fine after updating jdbc driver.
I can attest to that - ours started working after updating the jdbc. However, our Statistics plugin has never started working after installing the latest MySQL - similar issue, but not sure of the fix.

WRoot, yes, the SET OPTION statement was removed from MySQL v5.6. So OpenFire will not show users on the summary page if you use OpenFire with MySQL v5.6 (no matter what JDBC driver version you use).

If you are using MySQL v5.5 with OpenFire v3.8.2, then you should update the JDBC driver to v5.1.26 or v5.1.28 for a problem free user summary page.

The long term fix is to create a new verson of OpenFire using SET without OPTION that will work with MySQL v5.6, and since SET OPTION has been depreceated for a long while this new version of OpenFire will will also work with many older versions of MySQL.

I have filed OF-723 for this issue. Also i have updated attached JDBC driver in OF-697 (you say it works with 5.5, needs testing with 5.1, 5.0). Also after someone will do the change to SET and the new version is built in Bamboo it would be good to test again with different MySQL versions (5.5, 5.1, 5.0).

Mike, can you provide info on where exactly SET OPTION statement is being used in the code? You can post this in the comment on OF-723

I checked the Openfire sources and can confirm we do not explicitly invoke the deprecated MySQL ā€œSET OPTIONā€ syntax anywhere in the code base. Rather, this is called implicitly via the JDBC API (likely in this case via the java.sql.Statement.setFetchSize method), which is implemented in the MySQL JDBC driver that is maintained by the MySQL folks.

I think your best bet if you are experiencing this issue is to download the most recently released version of MySQL Connector/J (currently 5.1.30) and rename/replace the mysql.jar that was shipped with Openfire. For our part we will try to stay current with the MySQL JDBC client with each (major) new release of Openfire.

FYI per their release notes, the MySQL folks claim that the latest JDBC driver is compatible with older server versions going back to 4.1.

Just a new updateā€¦ have tried to fix the issue by replacing the mysql.jar, ā€¦ i kept a backup in the same directory but it failed to load the new driver.
by playing again and again, found out that it will load every file in the lib directory so if it loads an old version first, it will not load the following other mysql jars whatever their names are.
so, remove from the directory any other mysql.jar (even backup) put them in a subdirectory.
it fixed my issue.
tried the latest one jdbc version 8ā€¦ and working well.