Using Jive Messenger

Hi, I have small doubt.

can the Jive Messenger as it is can be used for a commerical purpose, or do we need to take permission or license from anybody?

Thanks

Mahanare

Mahanare,

You must abide by the terms of the GPL. Please read through the license for full details. Howevever, the gist is:

• The server is free to deploy.

• If you make changes to Jive Messenger, you must distribute those changes under the GPL.

• If you bundle Jive Messenger with other code (such as a commercial product), that code must be released under the GPL as well.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions about licensing. If you have a need to license Jive Messenger for commercial purposes (such as bundling with a product), feel free to contact me by email.

Regards,

Matt

Thank you mutt,

so i cant use jive messenger as a chat server in my product, right.

• is there any facility like buying licence etc?

Thnx

so i cant use jive messenger as a chat server in my

product, right.

• is there any facility like buying licence etc?

You could, but you would have to release your product under the Open Source GPL license as well (something that’‘s often not possible/practical with commercial products). We’'d be happy to discuss the possibility of a special license that would allow you to ship Jive Messenger as part of your commercial product – please send me an email.

Regards,

Matt

I’'ve been developing an XMPP application using Smack as our XMPP library and internally have worked with Messenger as our server. We have not distributed or released anything. If I read this post correctly, when we do distribute, we cannot bundle Messenger with our installer. We can, however, recommend it as a preferred server for the user to download and install themselves, correct?

As far as Smack goes, we are using it unedited. Do we need to do anything more than include a zip of the full library w/ source and license file included on the CD?

Thanks

Doug

Doug,

Recommending that users download and install Jive Messenger themselves should work fine. If you wanted to bundle Jive Messenger with your product, then you’‘d need to also distribute your code as GPL. Another option would be to obtain a commercial license agreement from Jive Software (which would let you distribute Jive Messenger without making your code Open Source). Please email me if you’'d like to discuss.

On Smack – since it is licensed under the Apache Open Source License, it’‘s license requirements are much more liberal. Distributing the source is definitely optional. Generally, we’'d recommend that you include the license agreement somewhere with your software. Many people handle this by creating a directory of license files for all embedded open source projects and then distributing that with the product.

Regards,

Matt