Using openfire as a discussion backend for a community

Hi all,

my current interest for openfire is twofold. At the moment we are using it already as a instant messaging backend for our small workgroup, which works charmingly - as everyone expected it to.

However I’m currently also thinking about using Openfire also in a project, where we are developing a larger community of 10k+ users in multiple different countries, but feel little hesitant since I’m not sure whether openfire is up to the task - especially since the clustering module is no longer available.

In our usecases Openfire would be used to provide groupchats for the community and user to user instant messages on the community website, in very similar fashion as GTalk already provides chatting to users. As the features are already present in the openfire, I would like to use openfire or some other ready made server to provide the features instead of creating similar features from scratch. The bonus from openfire would naturally be to handle precence information at the same time, and eventually allow users also to use Jabber-clients – though that is not a key feature in our case :smiley:

Please do comment on, whether you have travelled similar path or have any thoughts on the feasability of using openfire like that.

-huima

Hey huima,

However I’m currently also thinking about using Openfire also in a project, where we are developing a larger community of 10k+ users in multiple different countries, but feel little hesitant since I’m not sure whether openfire is up to the task - especially since the clustering module is no longer available.

If your concern is about having more than 10K users connected to Openfire then you don’t need t be concerned. A single Openfire server cam handle up to 250K in a 64 bit OS. Clustering for 10K is not required for scalability but for fault tolerance. Anyway, you can put in place solutions for fault tolerance that will ensure a minimum down time.

Regards,

– Gato

Excellent, thank you for the clarification.

I did notice similar data on page: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1543

Are there any suggested setups for fault tolerance installations? If I have a clustered mysql to provide fault tolerance on database and have similarly two frontends, are there any preferable ways to configure them? Afaik redhat cluster suite ( available also in centos ) has features to do that if one machine goes down, but I’m looking for information on preferred installations and good shared experiences.

Anyway thanks for the helpfull answer so far.