Very Basic Server Setup

I am having trouble configuring my Wildfire server. I looked at the install docs and there were no real specifics such as how to name your server, what syntax to use, and how to set up and push out groups. I am running WF on a Win2000 Server and using various flavors of Gaim as my client. Our network is just a simple workgroup so no complicated LDAP or AD setup. The only thing i know to use as my server name would be the machines IP address.

Can anyone direct me to a more indepth setup document?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

do you also run a DNS server within your network? It would help a lot to set up a DNS SRV record which matches your domain name and which you probably also use for email.

If all clients can resolve the name of your server then you can also use just the name.

In the admin console you’'ll find a Users/Groups page to create new server side groups.

LG

Thanks for your help. No, we don’'t run a DNS server. Just a very simple workgroup setup. It said i could use the IP address of the server in the brief tooltip, so i went with that.

Can anyone delineate the syntax that is needed for the server name and the user registration?

I did see in the user/groups where to set up the groups. Although i am confused as to how to push this group out to the clients. Everytime i tried to enable this function and save, it was disabled upon refresh.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

it sounds that you are using 3.0.1_beta_2 and did hit bug JM-836 within.

JiveSoftware uses “jivesoftware.com” as server name (xmpp.domain), you can use “computername” if you did name your server “computername” and the clients are able to access it, e.g. you have shares like
computername\images. So the users will be “jack@computername” and “jill@computername” - this does of course not match their email address but will work fine. So I wouldn’'t use the IP address as this will look even worse and is as far as I know not supported.

LG

Thanks, i downgraded to 3.0.1 and it is working better. I was not able to use the computer name for the server. I still have to use the IP address to get communication to work.

I am also having problems with the “send file” functionality. It halts at around 90% and stays there.

But i will check the forums for a fix on that. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

this sounds like another bug: http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=129617 which should be fixed in the upcoming 3.1.0_beta_3.

LG

Thanks for the heads up. What is the best way to upgrade and transfer current settings and user accounts when the Beta is ready?

Hi,

I should answer only one question within every thread, I’‘m not using Windows and it was often asked before so I’'m not 100% sure:

Do not uninstall Wildfire as this may delete the embedded database and wildfire.xml.

Stop Wildfire.

Remove the service (wildfire-service.exe /uninstall) if you did install it.

Backup everything.

Install the new version

Add the service.

Start it.

LG