Viewing Wildfire Logs

Hi!

I know that this question dates back to good old Jive Server. Is there any utility with which I can view the Log files? There was a log-viewer binary posted by someone a while ago… Is there any progress in this front?

It will be really helpful if we can view the log from the admin console itself, based on from / to / from-date / to-date etc… I aint a programmer, so I dotn know how difficult it is to implement, but jus a suggestion. A capable stand-alone log-viewer too should suffice…

Thanks for your responses

Hi,

you can view the error, warn, info and debug logs using the Wildfire logviewer (/logviewer.jsp). There one can only select how many lines are interesting and view either the first or the last 50 / 100 / … / All log lines of one file. A selection based on the date is not possible, but this should be easy to implement.

Maybe they switch to Log4J, so one gets one log file with all information. Currently it’‘s not easy to merge all files which also contain stack traces to one files. I’‘d like a logviewer where I can select whether I’'m interested in INFO/DEBUG/ERROR messages or not. Log4J would also offer some more nice features like remote logging and log file rotation based on time or size.

LG

LG

I think that he is talking about chat log not the system log. There has been one thread where one user posted a C# program to view the Chat room log. I can’'t find that thread. At that time I have not been able to try it because my server is on linux and the program is windows base. The thread became a very long one.If there has been update to that and if someone can post the program using a new thread, it would be nice.

Have a look at the options available for “Message Audit Policy” in the Admin console.

Here is someone trying to help me (I just notice now, I will PM him to get the script) before I thought that he is only just saying that he has the same issue.

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=102866&#102866

Here is one more thread where you can vote for it.

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=110784&#110784

regards,

wmhtet

I just completed putting together a chat log plugin, of course is just a beta but if you would like to talk a look I can send you the binary or post it somewhere and the code if you like. I use the user area to break down the logs into manageable parts. I’'ll be adding a between dates filter by tomorrow.

-kurt

Kurt

Why Binary? Why not the source code itself so that other people who has some knowledge and wanna contribute can help you.

Regards,

wmhtet

Hi Kurt,

does this plugin also log to a file or does it only display xml data? I think that XML which is used in Audit mode is not[/b] the right log format if one is only interested in a MUC transcript.

Using the admin console to view the log files let me think that one will be an admin and thus not really interested in the content of the chats. And you’'ll likely not give admin accounts to all moderators, so this seems to be the wrong approach.

I’'d like some more MUC features, like the option to send a transcript (maybe HTML or RTF format) to the moderator and/or to all participants.

But I do not want a slow server because everything is logged and a full partition because it is never deleted.

LG

It is an interceptor that is only interested in the chat and chat group messages and grabs only the user (to/from), chat group (if chat group message), body and time and a table is added to the database that collects that information, a separate thread is added to handle the inserts, and as you stated the admin has the ability to view all the logs but I don’'t see a problem creating an export feature that then sends a log file to a moderator in a more user friendly fashion then the xml data (even though XML is human readable but usually not understandable:) ), and once the file has been sent execute a clean up if desired. I built the plugin because we wanted the admin to be able to view the logs and for legal reasons we need to keep the data for an extends period of time and hard drives are cheap, but I have no problem with making modifications/contributing the plug in so others can make modifications, it might not[/b] be exactly what you are looking for but it works ok for us and with some modifications it could be made into something exactly for you.

I don’'t know how to contribute the source so other people can look at it so how do I do that?

-kurt

Yes, am talking about the Chat Log files that get saved in the wildfire/logs folder… The log-viewer binary tht was posted by someone earlier still works, but it has a few rough edges, and is a very basic log viewer… such a powerful server is wildfire, n a chat-log viewer is only a “shud be there” feature, i feel… as am a dummy in programmin stuff, am kinda hapless… wud be grateful if anyone can find a better n efficient way of auditing the chat logs…

Hello,

I posted the viewer that I’'m in the process of developing to sourceforge.net at http://sourceforge.net/projects/iball-auditor take a look and let me know how I can make things better, its a work in progress.

-kurt

Thanks a lot for your efforts… Can you get me a binary file? I could download only the source from sourceforge… and am a dummy in programming n stuff

Hello,

I added the binary to the source zip yesterday.

-kurt

Hello,

I added the binary to the source zip yesterday.

-kurt

Thanks a lot… and sorry for the gap… i shall check it out today!

typo: I-Ball Chat Aduitor

well, this must be in development stage. But there is some places i dont understand. “To” column shows user which has sent that message. And then “From/Group” shows Room/User.

And i think somehow it must be emphasized that this plugin is for viewing MUC chat logs, not simple messaging.

Great, thank you for the positive feed back, there is a reason why it’'s titled with beta on the end. The plugin at this time is for both chat and groupchat messages I can setup a property that determines if it should be capturing chat, groupchat or both.

Maybe I should change the title of the From/Group column to ‘‘From or Group/From’’, but in a MUC the person sending the message is also one of the users To receive the message.

Thank You,

-kurt

Hi Kurt, this Plugin is great - that’'s exactly what I was looking for. Here in Germany/Europe every company has to store enterprise communication data for 24 month

Achim

OK this might seem like a stupid question but, I have installed the I-Ball auditor and configured it to ‘‘Enabled’’ but how do I review the logs?

The Message Audit Policy is ‘‘Enabled’’

thanks

loonybin88

yup, it takes a while for me to look for that one also.

Even after seeing the picture, I do not realize where to look for it. However when you look at it carefully, you will notice that it is under user/group and it is for a particular user.

regards,

wmhtet

Hi Kurt, this Plugin is great!

Question, where do you store the logs? Or you just use the Wildfire logs. Can you store the logs in a database?

Thanks!

Ravin

Hi Kurt,

Where can I find the Group Chat logs? I can’'t find them under the user summary > chat logs.

Thanks!

Ravin