Weird vcard/avatar issue after installing then uninstalling ClientControl plugin

I was having some performance issues with our Openfire server, random disconnects. Turns out most likely issue with flaky s2s VPN.

But during troubleshooting I installed ClientControl plugin to disable avatar/vcard feature.

Now that ClientControl is uninstalled, Spark clients cannot change avatar. In fact in addition to getting “server does not support vcard” error box, Spark hangs and then crashes. I deleted \plugins\clientcontrol, restarted both Openfire process and the machine itself, etc.

I’ve tried uninstalling Spark client, deleting C:\program files\spark and %users%\AppData\roaming\Spark, and reinstalling – but issue persists. If you create a new user on the windows box, and install Spark, issue persists. If you use a different Spark login, issue perists. It seems the issue is keyed to particular machine, because the weird thing is if I** install Spark on a new computer or laptop that did not have Spark before, the avatar/vcard feature works fine.**

Is there something I’m missing with the uninstall of Spark on client? Did the ClientControl plugin change something on all the windows boxes (like in the registry or somewhere) that were logged into Openfire when I was mucking around? Or is the issue somewhere in the Openfire server itself?

Much thanks!

(it’s not too important only a handful of users had avatars but it’s like this itch I can’t scratch because I’m Java-ignorant!)

specs:

Openfire 3.7.0, Windows 2003, MySQL

Spark 2.6.3 on various Windows XP, Vista, 7 mix

120 users or so, usually 80 logged in

On WAN we use domain name for openfire server, our satellite offices use IP address. Cisco ASA ‘forwards’ port 5222 to openfire box.

Do not use LDAP itegration (multiple domains so could not get that to work across forest).

Here is the Spark 2.6.3 error log:

Sep 30, 2011 9:11:29 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE:

No response from server on status set.:

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.packet.VCard.save(VCard.java:512)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardEditor.saveVCard(VCardEditor.java:454)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardEditor.access$000(VCardEditor.java:59)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardEditor$1.propertyChange(VCardEditor.jav a:144)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.firePropertyChange(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JOptionPane.setValue(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI$ButtonActionListener.actionPerformed(U nknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

at org.jvnet.substance.utils.RolloverButtonListener.mouseReleased(RolloverButtonLi stener.java:111)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Some more troubleshooting: from my PC, I can get the vcard edit to work by changing the Server Address. If I change it from our internal “servername” to the public IP of the Openfire server location, it works fine, and does not error out or give this:

SEVERE:

No response from server on status set.:

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.packet.VCard.save(VCard.java:512)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardEditor.saveVCard(VCardEditor.java:454)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardEditor.access$000(VCardEditor.java:59)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardEditor$1.propertyChange(VCardEditor.jav a:144)

at java.awt.Component.firePropertyChange(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JOptionPane.setValue(Unknown Source)

at

I also tried “servername.mydomain.local” and that also errors out just like the “servername” by itself.

So maybe it’s something weird with our VPN, I know it screws things up sometimes. (for example I cant TFTP from a server over there because the proxy doesn’t like the dynamic ports).