What features would you like to see in Spark?

1. Example :

I’m in a MUC with :

Toto

Juliette

Romeo

I type Ju, and press <tab> and the name is completed : Juliette. Or "Juliette, " if it’s the beggining of a sentance. It’s a common feature on all irc clients and the most of the jabber client with muc.

To my mind, it’s very important.

winsrev wrote:

1. Not entirely sure what you mean by “nick completion”

In MUC, in input area you start to type “win”, then press Tab and client automaticly appends “srev”. It should search through room roster. Also, i know that some clients support such thing: you can click on nickname in chat area and this nickname will automaticly appear in chat input area, so you dont have to type, especially with some long, difficult names.

The only thing here is that a lot of objects are hard coded which is probably what caused the Skinning Service to basically come to an end, i’ll take a look and see if there’s anything i can do.

Yeah, Gato mentioned the clicking on a nickname and it appearing in the chat window to me a few days ago, so, chances are that will be implemented.

Ouch, i don’t like this… I’m on a laptop and sometimes, when I double-click, it’s in fact just a simple click. I don’t want my input be changed…

The <tab> completion is simple and we don’t need to move the mouse to complete a name. Even for a complexe nickname.

1. OK, let it be just simple history search But Spark is used primarily with Openfire, imho.

2. As other already explained, that’s when you type first nick’s letters, press Tab and nick becomes ‘completed’. As every UNIX shell does, for example.

3. As for now, we have only boolean for MUC notification: notify or do not notify. But usually user wants to be notified when someone mentions his name/nickname so he will look into the MUC and read what happened. At least this basic level of notification would be nice to implement.

4. That’s a pity What part of that is hard to implement? Hiding into tray?

Maxime81 wrote:

Ouch, i don’t like this… I’m on a laptop and sometimes, when I double-click, it’s in fact just a simple click. I don’t want my input be changed…

The <tab> completion is simple and we don’t need to move the mouse to complete a name. Even for a complexe nickname.

Tab completion should still work without any clicking (only with tab). What we are speaking about it’s a simple click on nickname near message in chat area (or maybe in roster), so clicked nickname is automatically added as the first word in the input area (without any typing). I dont see how it can cause problems, even for laptop users.

Speaking of XEP-0136, Spark really needs support for it. There’s already a plugin for Openfire that adds server side support, though it really should be integrated into the monitoring plugin now that it’s free.

XEP-0136 lets the user access server-side message logs and annotate/delete them (if the server allows). It also lets clients negotiate unlogged (off-the-record) conversations, though the server can be configured to disable this, too.

(Replying through my email, so sorry if it goes wrong!)

Well, how about providing an offline tool which edits the jar files and repackages the installer?

Also off-topic: If I modify Spark, do I have to repackage it with the same installer that it came with originally? Do I have to repackage it in any specific way?

Yeah, the single click shouldn’t be a problem for laptop users.

1. I mean, in version 2.6.1 the transcript viewer will be overhauled and perhaps a search can be implemented there but, not all server admins will want to log messages meaning that for a lot of servers this feature isn’t used to any extent.

2. More than likely this will be implemented along with the clicking of a users nickname in an MUC.

3. I’m sure this can be implemented in someway to Group Chat Highlighting, infact i’ll probably jump on this quite quickly as it should be fairly easily.

4. Well, just purely somethings will need rewriting but, some users may get confused when clicking the X and it isn’t actually closing anything just hiding it.

Well, it’ll essentially have to be recompiled which is why there’s an SVN and tutorials on how to compile it, even if you were to do that and change the images once again you’ll need install4j to make an installer.

Ah, perhaps I didn’t communicate the idea properly. The end user would not be allowed to actually edit a predefined group. They would only be able to “personalize” a local copy of it.

What about simultaneous logins. Is this currently possible in spark?

This can be somewhat described by what the Gateway does, if Daniel writes it so that each gateway can have multiple instances then i think that may be best rather than essentially allowing spark to do this as it would require much less work. (sorry to burden Daniel with that )

Well I found another thread asking for docking the buddy list.

There is also a new feature request for it too. http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-956

It does not have a fixed version yet, maybe this can be thought of a little more, maybe in the next release or two…

Well, chances are though really, it’ll maybe get shoved into 2.6.2 seen as 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 are pretty much locked in terms of new features and bug fixes.

Will make sure it gets into a version though.

is there a timeline on release dates? or will new versions be available after all bugs/features are implemented?

AlanS17 wrote:

Ah, perhaps I didn’t communicate the idea properly. The end user would not be allowed to actually edit a predefined group. They would only be able to “personalize” a local copy of it.

Local copy is still a copy of predefined group. As i said every organization has its own rules. For us it won’t work. Say, boss asks to create groups, fill with contacts and push them to all users. And then someone edits a local copy of that, by removing some of the important contacts and then there is a problem for him to contact that person. Of course removed person can still contact him, or such user can start chat by specifying JID. But this would create some complexity and waste some time (his or admin’s). This was just the opposite example.

There is already a possibility to create your own contact groups and copy contacts from predefined groups. So you can collapse all predefined groups and leave that custom group opened with contacts you think you need. You can name that group so it would be on top of the list (putting some special char or number in the beginning of the name).

jeffreyvsmith wrote:

What about simultaneous logins. Is this currently possible in spark?

winsrev wrote:

This can be somewhat described by what the Gateway does, if Daniel writes it so that each gateway can have multiple instances then i think that may be best rather than essentially allowing spark to do this as it would require much less work. (sorry to burden Daniel with that )

I remember there were some talks about simultaneous MSN or ICQ logins in Gateway forum. This is too complex and is not planned for near future, as far as i remember. Two simultaneous logins are available in some kind by using xmpp gateway. I think multi-profile is more reasonable and easier feature at this moment. I mean choosing the profile at startup (if no Auto login is set), so you dont have to enter login/pass/server every time. Though all this stuff about multi logins and profiles ideally should be solved by s2s and xmpp federation.

If multi login could be implemented, it seems to me that it should be handled by Spark itself. I mean only xmpp multi login, and Spark is a xmpp client. Using XMPP gateway for this is a bit of nonsense