What features would you like to see in Spark?

modulok wrote:

Well I found another thread asking for docking the buddy list.

Request: Docking of Spark Client - Spark Support - Ignite Realtime Community Forums

There is also a new feature request for it too. [SPARK-956] - Ignite Realtime Jira

It does not have a fixed version yet, maybe this can be thought of a little more, maybe in the next release or two…

This feature request is only about snapping to the edges of the screen or taskbar. Docking is not mentioned, and it seems docking is something else. I dont quite understand how docking works. Does it mean that every other maximized window will only maximize till docked window border, so it wont overlap it? Like limiting screen resolution by the size of docking window? SPARK-956 is not covering that.

Yes wroot, you are right in your take on docking. I thought of docking and the snapping to edges as something that would be bundled together. When I drag my buddy list around and when it gets close to the left or right edge of the screen, it jumps to the side and expands to the full vertical resolution, but not overlapping the taskbar. Once it’s docked, any maximized window will butt up right to the edge of the buddy list. Although you can move a non-maximized window over the buddy list.

I used to use Trillian, which had docking, then at work we didn’t see the need to buy everyone the Pro copy (to connect to jabber), so we went with Pidgin. If someone is going to add this feature, they should definately try one of these clients. I am curious how others have their buddy list and other windows setup, because while I have been using Spark recently, its annoying to keep clicking on icon to bring it up.

If you have any more questions let me know, I am glad to help get this feature in Spark.

modulok wrote:

If you have any more questions let me know, I am glad to help get this feature in Spark.

Well, i’m not a developer I have a right to create new tickets in JIRA, though. Just trying to clarify everything for winsrev and other developers and users. I have created a ticket for docking SPARK-1006. But it’s up to devs to plan and implement it or not.

Awesome, thanks wroot for putting the request in.

On another idea, would there be a chance of an option to disable the taskbar entry for Spark? (I didn’t see an entry for this specific idea yet) For people who have a lot of programs running, one extra entry for Spark isn’t necessary if the system tray icon is present.

Yeah, i sort of thought that SPARK-956 would probably cover it as i can see how that might be helpful.

Excellent, i’ve linked SPARK-1006 and SPARK-956 as they’ll probably be best to be implemented together.

That’s probably somewhat easy to implement because all you really have to do is use an if statement to take away the code that sets that, although, i’m not sure on the usefulness of this.

winsrev wrote:

That’s probably somewhat easy to implement because all you really have to do is use an if statement to take away the code that sets that, although, i’m not sure on the usefulness of this.

Usefulness would be to have one taskbar entry less. I’m not a coder, so i dont know how easy it’s to implement. But Spark is not showing systray icon all the time. E.g. login screen is having only taskbar entry. So in some cases it should retain that functionality. I dont like catching windows without taskbar entries hidden behind other windows (like dialogs), so you have to minimize everything one by one.

wroot wrote:
winsrev wrote:

That’s probably somewhat easy to implement because all you really have to do is use an if statement to take away the code that sets that, although, i’m not sure on the usefulness of this.Usefulness would be to have one taskbar entry less. I’m not a coder, so i dont know how easy it’s to implement. But Spark is not showing systray icon all the time. E.g. login screen is having only taskbar entry. So in some cases it should retain that functionality. I dont like catching windows without taskbar entries hidden behind other windows (like dialogs), so you have to minimize everything one by one.

Is that because you don’t have auto-login enabled? It seems like the system tray icon shows up once spark connects to the jabber server. Maybe there can be an option to pick where to display the icons (system tray and/or taskbar). Also would be nice to make sure the system tray icon ALWAYS is displayed when you choose it in this potential feature, regardless of login screen, etc.

True animated avatars. Right now spark changes the avatar to a different format when you choose an image so animated gifs don’t work.

But more importantly, can other clients (other jabber clients) see the animated and avatars and be able to set them themselves? it does sound like an interesting concept though.

I think mtstravel is speaking about interest of the enterprise networks which are based on one client (Spark). Speaking about animated avatars. Issue about animated emoticons (and maybe avatars) hogging CPU should be fixed first.

The issue spark seems to have is that it converts every image type used to a lower quality png, including png files. If tha animation is not supported in other clients they should still see the first fram of an animated gif. But spark won’t even do this.

Please consider an option to centrally disable local transcript logging in an enterprise’s Spark clients. I have a custom build of Spark designed to remove all chat transcripts. We don’t need to keep them, and we don’t want them stored all over the place (makes a centralized books and records policy unworkable).

Ideally, would be centrally managed via an Openfire plugin (similar to file xfers, etc). At the very least, please ensure that we can go into the code if need be and force transcript saving to off.

Thanks! - ATM

Just adding my voice to support these tickets - I had a post a while ago on this and the multi-window chat (http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/28819) - both would be huge improvements to Spark for our organization.

For the love of us in enterprise settings - and given the list of bug fixes and other feature requests - please don’t spend any time getting animated avatars to work.

Well, essentially these can be disabled via the preference panel, although really, would it be practical to have a central server that controls Spark more than the user does?

Don’t spend any time? don’t you feel that seems a little bit harsh on the users that would like this as a feature?

Oh - I’m sorry - didn’t mean for anyone to take it that seriously (hence the wink icon).

(That said, I can’t stop myself from saying that an animated avatar that someone else had enabled and that blinked and changed while I was trying to chat with them would drive me crazy. If you allow for animated avatars, please also allow for the ability to disable animations in other people’s avatars if they don’t want to see them.)

Thanks - very happy to see more development planned on Spark! - ATM

Yeah. I dont like animation too. Emoticons or avatars.

Gato was promising to release client control plugin soon, but it seems it’s not as soon as we hoped So, some enterprise cntrol could be done in there already. We should wait and then we (developers to be exact) can plan adding new features. But this should be done both in Spark and Openfire (client control plugin) if so.