Where I can download the source code of jive messenger 1.4?

I have download the source code of jive messenger 1.5,

but the develope environment doesn’'t support JDK1.5,

only support JDK1.4 .

so I want the source code of jive messenger 1.4 .

can you help me ?

Hi bigseal,

To the best on my knowledge there was never a 1.5 version of Messenger. There was a 1.1 version but that was back when Messenger was a commercial application and the source was not availalbe. The source code for Messenger has only been available since version 2.0. Are you by chance referring to Smack which is currently at version 1.5? If so, Smack only requires JDK1.3 to compile and JDK1.2 to run.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

or maybe he talks about JM wich supports JDK 1.4 or something…

Oh,I’‘m sorry,It’'s my fault

I got the JM 2.1.2,which only supports JDK 1.5

But I want a JM which supports JDK 1.4

Thank you for your help

Message was edited by:

bigseal

Hi bigseal,

Unfortunately there isn’‘t a version of Messenger that will run on JDK 1.4. If you’‘re trying to run Messenger on a platform that does not yet support JDK 1.5 you might want to take a look at url=http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/Retroweaver[/url]. I haven’'t used it myself but I seem to recall hearing that a few people have had success with it.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi ryang ,

Thank you very much!

I see,I’'ll hvae a try .

But I think I have to modify some code in JSP pages,because I use Tomcat as servlet container(build a war file),which version is 5.5.4, it supports Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 .In some JSP pages occure error when JDK1.5’'s syntax is used.

Fortunately such code is very little in JSP pages.

Hi bigseal,

Messenger has a built-in Jetty server so you might want to make things easier on yourself and just not worry about getting Messenger to work with Tomcat, at least not at first.

~Ryan

Hi ryang ,

I write some code in JSP pages,

<----

<%@page import=“java.util.Collections,java.util.Collection” %>

<%

Collections c = null;

Collection cStr = null ;

%>

and when i access it from Tomcat , the error occured

<----

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /index.jsp

Generated servlet error:

Syntax error on token “<”, invalid AssignmentOperator

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /index.jsp

Generated servlet error:

Syntax error on token “=”, != expected

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandl er.java:84)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java: 328)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:389)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:288)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:267)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:255)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java: 556)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java: 296)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:245)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

It must be Tomcat’'s jasper-compiler not support some syntax of JDK 1.5 .:slight_smile:

Hi bigseal,

Yeah, looks like it doesn’'t like the new generics syntax.

~Ryan

Hi ryang,

Must be!

OK,my question is over.

You are a accommodating man!

Thanks!

I wonder why the early adoption of 1.5 is happening with this. I have some serious work to on it and my platform is OSX. I can’'t even develop with it at this time on my platform.

I have a choice of removing Java 1.5 dependencies, but I don’'t wish to do a hack job on it. I just think that taking a wonderful project like messenger and making it so difficult to deploy and develop is not the most beneficial situation.

Any idea, what the motivation is driving 1.5 development? I am sure it must have been important. I am just curious.

I wonder why the early adoption of 1.5 is happening

with this. I have some serious work to on it and my

platform is OSX. I can’'t even develop with it at

this time on my platform.

JDK 1.5 is now supported under OSX with the release of Tiger. You can find the download at:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/java2se50release1.html

I have a choice of removing Java 1.5 dependencies,

but I don’'t wish to do a hack job on it.

Unfortunately, I think you’'ll find this nearly impossible. The use of Java 1.5 is very omnipresent in the code.

I just

think that taking a wonderful project like messenger

and making it so difficult to deploy and develop is

not the most beneficial situation.

We realize that is’‘t a bit painful to require 1.5 due to the fact that its use isn’‘t very widespread. However, there are several reasons that we think it’'s the right choice:

• SASL and TLS require new features that are only in 1.5.

• We’'ve been able to greatly improve the quality of the code by using new language features and libraries (such as the java.util.concurrent package).

• 1.5 is available on every major platform (including OSX with the release of Tiger).

Regards,

Matt

Unfortunately that will cost me 2 bills to upgrade. Its like asking a Windows 98 user, to upgrade to Windows XP. Not a very realistic request. Anyway, I am not bitching, it is just an observation, that I am sure I am not alone in the alienation. I will work around it one way or another. I really like the messenger application and with some tweaking it can be so much more than a Jabber server. I would really like to bridge the gap between message board style private messaging and IM services. With a few extensions, messenger can be a backed to message boards as will as a Jabber server. Note that private messaging does not need roster functionality or presence, but it does need to send and receive and store messages.

I have already hacked the backed database because I needed to auto register site members. This does seem to confuse the admin interface a good bit. It seems to be caching group data. At the time i was not considering writing code for it. Now my mind is changing, but if I can’'t use my development tools on my iBook, it may not be worth the effort. In all seriousness, I really like the product nevertheless.

Thomas

Unfortunately that will cost me 2 bills to upgrade.

Its like asking a Windows 98 user, to upgrade to

o Windows XP. Not a very realistic request.

I don’‘t run OS X, but my wife does. I upgraded her machine to 10.4 and it seems to be a worthy upgrade – the Spotlight search feature, the widget thingers, and of course J2SE 5.0 support. I have no idea why they don’'t release Java 5 on earlier versions of the OS, but the percentage of people using Macs for Jive Messenger is much lower than Windows or Linux.

I would really

like to bridge the gap between message board style

private messaging and IM services. With a few

extensions, messenger can be a backed to message

boards as will as a Jabber server.

I think the general idea of bringing together discussion forums with XMPP is a great one. If you’‘re familiar with Jive Software’‘s commercial products, you might have noticed that we’'re pretty familiar with discussion forum software.

The JM database schema doesn’‘t really seem suitable for forums at all… there’'s no storage of messages by default. Also, point to point messaging is pretty different from categories/forums. In any case, sounds like an interesting idea. Let us know how it goes.

I have already hacked the backed database because I

needed to auto register site members. This does seem

to confuse the admin interface a good bit. It seems

to be caching group data.

Yep, users and groups are cached. Have you considered writing an AuthProvider, UserProvider, and GroupProvider implementations? It’'s fairly simple and you could tie directly into your member database rather than copying data.

Regards,

Matt

That is what I was thinking as well as a better approach to automatically adding users. Initially I was just trying to hack it in real quick uncertain if this was the direction we wanted or not.

I will have to upgrade before doing any work, so it will be a little while. And yes, you are right about the database needing a little tweaking. For one, the Offline table could be treated as a store, and probably should have a field for the sender’'s name at the very least and possibly, the subject if there is one.

I had considered building PM compatibility using Jabber protocol but as you already know, it is not robust enough to handle the philosophy change. The more I think about, the more sense it makes to use a single server to access the data in different ways.

Thanks for the support. I will be in touch.

btw: My victim web site is www.expressobeans.com

Thomas