Where is chat history?

I have installed openfire with external database, which is mysql. Is there a chat history feature? I cant even find the table where chats are stored. Theres a table to store group chats, but no table to store chats between two people.

Storing chats in DB by default is not very smart. Especially with huge userbase. Currently chats are saved in logs (if message auditing is turned on). /logs directory. But they are not convinient to read. So you can create some tool to parse that logs into readable form, buy Enterprise license of Openfire. There is also OpenArchive plugin, which could be of help. http://maven.reucon.com/projects/public/archive/index.html

When I open a chat window I see conversations I had with someone two week ago. I do not have message audtiing turned on. It is keeping the messages, but where is it being stored? I see nothing relevant in /logs directory. Is there a property to turn off the history completely or set to refresh after certain period?

I think that when you start a new conversation, you shouldn’t be seeing a conversation you had weeks ago or even a minute ago.

Sometime there is a icon that will display past conversations also.

Are you sure your client isn’t just storing the chat history locally? We are currently using the OpenArchive plugin to archive user to user chat.

anagai wrote:

When I open a chat window I see conversations I had with someone two week ago.

Are you using Spark? It’s storing logs locally in C:\Documents and Settings%Username%\Spark\user\username@servername\transcripts\

You can disable chat history in Spark.

I had the same issue regarding the logs. I found them easily enough (I had set the archiving on) but found them to be very difficult to read. I did eventually (today) find this thread which has a very useful tool to read existing logs (though possibly not the current one as the file is in use). Only problem I had with it was the date/time function which makes the “view as chat” a little pointless as the messages were not in date order.

I would be very interested to hear if there has been any updates to this tool.

The delete feature doesn’t actually do anything when you disable the history. So history can grow unless you delete the folder yourself.

DuncanClarke wrote:

I would be very interested to hear if there has been any updates to this tool.

I doubt it would be updated, unless someone else would take a task to continue that tool.

anagai wrote:

The delete feature doesn’t actually do anything when you disable the history. So history can grow unless you delete the folder yourself.

I have just checked and Spark doesnt add anything to a history after you disable history.