Why do MUCs handle nicknames differently?

I just recently enabled the LDAP vCard handler on my Wildfire 3.0.1 server, and the buddy lists and chats display the user’'s data as expected.

However, we still see the user-selected “alias” field in MUCs. How can I disable this and only show the vCard nickname?

Unfortuantly this is more of a client issue than a server issue. As part of the contract of the MUC protocols users are allowed to select their own nicknames when joining a multi-user chat. I believe Spark handles this in your desired way by using the nickname of the user if available from ldap.

Hope that helps,

Alex

So the behavior is part of the specs for a MUC? Hmmm, that’‘s a bit disappointing. I’'ll have to start reading. I wonder if I could hack the source to do what I want.

Know what would be handy? A server property to force LDAP vCard compliance in MUCs.

The only problems with that would be, it might create more work for the admins that use LDAP for authentication and authorization. I use LDAP for both of those, but not to store vCard info, so it might cause problems later on.

Jeff

jeff_garner wrote:

The only problems with that would be, it might create more work for the admins that use LDAP for authentication and authorization. I use LDAP for both of those, but not to store vCard info, so it might cause problems later on.

Jeff

By my way of thinking, such an (optional) setting would only apply if the LDAP vCard provider were in use, and the setting so-enabled.

I patched MUC to only allow the user to enter their predefined nickname. If they enter anything else it won’‘t let them in the chatroom. I tried making MUC force the client to use the nickname, but I found that many clients didn’'t react well to having MUC tell them to use a different name than they had entered.

Message was edited by: MikeF

MikeF wrote:

I patched MUC to only allow the user to enter their predefined nickname. If they enter anything else it won’‘t let them in the chatroom. I tried making MUC force the client to use the nickname, but I found that many clients didn’'t react well to having MUC tell them to use a different name than they had entered.

Message was edited by: MikeF

I have “Only login with registered nickname” checked, but I still have users entering the MUC with other nicknames.

atlauren wrote:

I have “Only login with registered nickname” checked, but I still have users entering the MUC with other nicknames.

If this is the first time they enter and register with the room they can put anything in the nickname. Then they will have to use that nickname always to login to that room.

You can check that old thread for more info

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=100451&#100451

and JM-353 , though it’'s not LDAP related.

Ah ha! So “Only login with registered nickname” has a prerequisite that the MUC itself have registered users?

If so, I’‘ll recommend a change in wording: use the verb “join” instead of “login”. “Login” to me implies the user’'s initial login with the server, not the interaction with the MUC.

+1 vote.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: atlauren