Why does Messenger not start as a service?

I’‘ve installed the newest version of Jive Messenger on a Redhat Linux 9 box. When I start the server manually, everything’‘s peachy and Jabber clients can connect. However, when I try to have Jive Messenger start as a service upon bootup, it doesn’'t work.

After lots of fiddling and digging, I can confidently say that the init scripts are configured and work properly, but bin/messenger doesn’'t start Jive Messenger when coupled with the init scripts (in RH9).

Has anyone experienced this too?

Does anyone know what can be done so that, after running the redhat-postinstall.sh script, Jive Messenger will in fact start when the computer boots up?

Here’'s what I did to come to my conclusion:

============================

-confirmed that Jive Messenger works when manually starting and stopping it from the CLI as root

-su’'d to root

-removed one ‘‘s’’ from ‘‘sss’’ on line 20 of redhat-postinstall.sh

-made redhat-postinstall.sh executable: chmod u+x redhat-postinstall.sh

-ran redhat-postinstall.sh: ./redhat-postinstall

-checked that the user and group jive were created, and that all contents of /opt/jive_messenger were chown’'d to jive:jive

-checked that the init scripts were setup properly:

root@linux-24xmax /opt/jive_messenger> chkconfig --list jive-messengerd

jive-messengerd 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

-noticed that /etc/rc.d/init.d/jive-messengerd was not executable, so i changed that:

chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/jive-messengerd

-rebooted the machine

-checked every log in /var/logs/, all of which said that it started successfully

-checked running processes and found it wasn’'t listed:

ps -A uw | less

-added this line to /opt/jive_messenger/bin/messenger on line 228 (directly after the echo "Starting messenger"):

touch $app_home/logs/starting_messenger.txt

-modified line 53 of /etc/rc.d/init.d/jive-messengerd so that it is:

CMD="./messenger $1 && touch $MESSENGER_HOME/logs/jive_initd.1.txt"

**note: this will create jive_initd.1.txt IF AND ONLY IF messenger started successfully

-added this line to /etc/rc.d/init.d/jive-messengerd on line 55 (directly after the su -c "$CMD" $MESSENGER_USER &):

echo “string1 = $1” > $MESSENGER_HOME/logs/jive_initd.2.txt

-noted the sizes and last modification times of everything in logs/

-rebooted the computer

-checked /opt/jive_messenger/logs/ and saw that only jive_initd.2.txt existed, confirming that:

-jive_initd.2.txt exists, and contains “string1 = start”

-the init script does in fact execute messenger start

-running jive_messenger/bin/messenger from line 54 of /etc/rc.d/init.d/jive-messengerd did NOT start successfully

-running jive_messenger/bin/messenger did not reach the echo "Starting messenger" line

-looked at the files in logs/ and saw that their sizes and mod times were the same as before the reboot

============================