Why isn't an openfire admin a MUC sysadmin?

Discuss

To elaborate, why isn’t an openfire admin a MultiUserChatService sysadmin by default? They already have infinite power by accessing the admin console…

daryl

Well. I don’t mind Openfire admin to be a MUC admin by default. Though i still dont use the main admin account to chat. So there won’t be much use for me.

I think wroot hit the nail on the head here. I don’t ever login via my chat client with the openfire admin account. I do this for added security. Secondly there is no limit to the number of admins you can have for the openfire server. I would not want all the possible admins to automatically be able to admin every MUC. Some need to be private.

Hi Todd,

If the account is an openfire admin, they can enter any MUC they want by configuring that access on the admin console.

daryl

Entering is different than being an admin of the MUC, and as you said you have allow that ability.

Hi Todd,

Being an openfire admin effectively allows you to do most any MUC admin activity via the console. The issue is that the user can’t do those same admin commands via XMPP MUC commands.

daryl

Like I said this is by design, most likely. You can make any user a MUC admin even if they are not openfire admins. This gives them owner rights to every MUC. I do not do this I want more granular control so grant access per MUC. As I and wroot said we have different accounts for the openfire admin and our chat accounts. This would mean we would not have the access anyway.