Wildfire 2.6.2 installation in an app-server

Hi,

I am trying to install the latest release of wildfire server. (ver 2.6.2). I could not find any documentation for installation of the “war” file within an J2EE app-server.

http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/wildfire/docs/latest/documentation/install-gu ide.html

A few searches on the forums and KB, unearthed the following …

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/entry.jspa?externalID=431&categoryID=22

Is this an oversight or a deliberate strategy to discourage installation in an app-server ?. Since you are still making the “war” file available for download, this is a bit confusing.

Hope that this is’'nt a “repeat” question.

Thanks

/rk

Hi,

where is the problem with the KB article? Deploying in Tomcat is really easy, you should download wildfire.zip to create the contents of wildfireHome - soon a wildfireHome.zip will be available.

LG

My app-server (weblogic 9.1 on windowsXP) threw a bunch of errors. The errors started with a failure to find the file wildfire.xml. I could not find any reference to this particular file. Since, I see many references to “wildfire.xml” in the “forums”, I assume it is quite important and central. However, I am unable to find the right documentation for it.

Since a “war” file is made available for download, a corresponding “installation” doc would be very helpful. (IMHO).

Cheers …

/rk

Hi,

you must specify a wildfireHome environment variable for Wildfire, this may be done using the start script of Bea9.1. I think there is no possibility to do use JNDI.

There may be some issues with application servers other than Tomcat 5 and Resin 3 (eg JM-682 Deploying Wildfire to a WebSphere environment is not working).

You may want to post the errors you get, I’'m not sure whether the developers did already look into a Bea deployment.

LG

Where can I find a sample wildfire.xml file ?. That part of the question has not been addressed.

Much thanks

/rk

you should download wildfire.zip to create the contents of wildfireHome[/i] - there you’'ll find it (/conf/wildfire.xml)

The app-server picked up the exploded wildfire “war” file. It is listening on port 5222 correctly. However, it would’'nt connect with a spark client. It fails at the authentication step. Seems like the db connection (mysql in this case) is failing. I have made the specified directives in the wildfire.xml per samples found. The complete wildfire.xml file is at the end of this message. My mysql server instance shows the db-connections as having established. (sessions in mysql speak …). Any hint in debugging this. After, I get this whole thing done, I can post it or add to the installation doc.

/rk

Hi,

did you look at the error or debug log files?

Try to view the whole log file, maybe there is an error in one of the first lines.

Or try to login again and post then the written log messages.

LG

MySql server does’'nt throw any error logs. Weblogic app-server logs are also clean w.r.t wildfire operations.

Wildfire logs repeatedly point to ssl invocation errors. I have’‘nt set up PKI Certs and such (i.e ssl). Is this required for the authentication to occur. I did’'nt have to do that for the “standalone” wildfire server either.

On a different note, if I were to host wildfire on the weblogic servlet container, then I would like for it to use db-connections that I create via weblogic. This is the recommended practise. Among other things it permits the app-server to “optimise” db-connections. (pooling, multiplexing … ). So, this appears to be a general problem in that it should be easy to specify (perhaps via xml directives or such ) to ask wildfire to use db-connections provided by the underlying app-server.

/rk

Half of the problem is solved. A folder byname “resources” was missing from the “war” file posted at your site. Among others, it contains the SSL cert’'s private key. Once I placed that folder in the wildfireHome folder, all the exceptions went away. Login and messaging worked. phew !!!

The only thing left is to specify to the wildfire server that it should use db connections made available by the app-server. This would be a “named pool”. So, the db connectivity code in wildfire should be configured to use a named pool. In std J2EE parlance, it starts with a JNDI query and then a “getConnection()” type of call. I will start digging into the code, but any hints/pointers will be appreciated.

Cheers …

/rk

Hi,

Wildfire uses its own connection pool logic. It was for a long time a stand-alone application and the war deployment was added as a goodie (the Jetty code is still included in it).

So there is as far as I know no JNDI code in it.

LG