Wildfire 2.6.2 Released

Wildfire 2.6.2 has been released. This is a maintenance release that includes many important bug fixes. Complete change log can be found at: http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/wildfire/docs/latest/changelog.html.

Upgrade note: Even though this is a minor release the new version requires modifications to the database structure. Therefore, it is recommended to perform a backup before installing the new version.

Enjoy,

Wildfire Team

Can we assume that the installer will perform the database modifications on its own? I use the embedded database and want to make sure that I don’'t have to directly edit the tables before installing…or do I?

Also, what’'s the best method for backing up the embedded database? Is there a particular file I can grab?

Hey Ariston,

Wildfire will automatically try to upgrade the database. The server will check the version number contained in the jiveVersion table against the biggest folder name found in /resources/database/upgrade. If jiveVersion contains a smaller number then the server will execute the required upgrade scripts.

Admins that like to have the control or are having some issues when running the automatic upgrade may execute the required upgrade scripts manually. The server should be stopped when doing the manual upgrade.

To have a backup of the embedded DB you need to backup files under /embedded-db.

Regards,

– Gato

at home: as i was using some nightly build so 2.6.2 started as always after upgrade. No db upgrade.

at work: tar.gz version. Just overwritten install4j bin lib resource plugins folders as always. Started normally. Some errors in error.log

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:73)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.roster.Roster.deleteRosterItem(Roster.java:401)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.roster.RosterManager.deleteRoster(RosterManager.java: 138)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.admin.user_002ddelete_jsp._jspService(user_002ddelete _jsp.java:94)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:428)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(WebApplica tionHandler.java:830)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(WebApplica tionHandler.java:821)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:43)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(WebApplica tionHandler.java:821)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:41)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicationHandler. java:471)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:568)

at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1530)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(WebApplicationContext.ja va:633)

at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1482)

at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.service(HttpServer.java:909)

at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:816)

at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:982)

at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:833)

at org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:244)

at org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:357)

at org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:534)

2006.04.21 17:16:58 org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.startModules(XMPPServer.java:504) Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.disco.IQDiscoItemsHandler.addServerItemsProvider(IQDi scoItemsHandler.java:178)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.disco.IQDiscoItemsHandler.start(IQDiscoItemsHandler.j ava:270)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.startModules(XMPPServer.java:497)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:371)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:142)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:88)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:49)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)

Hey wroot,

Do you have the file transfer proxy service disabled? Issue JM-655 was fixed. Could you post the beginning of the first exception? BTW, I would like to confirm that your databases have been correctly upgraded. Can you check the content of the jiveVersion table? You should see there that you have version 8 of wildfire.

Thanks,

– Gato

I see. Yes, i have disabled it. This was everything i had in log. Nothing else. I’'ve cleared logs few days ago. At home version is 8. At work i will look on Monday. This what i have in logs at home:

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

2006.04.21 19:02:55 [org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.startModules(XMPPServer.java:504)

] Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.disco.IQDiscoItemsHandler.addServerItemsProvider(IQDi scoItemsHandler.java:178)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.disco.IQDiscoItemsHandler.start(IQDiscoItemsHandler.j ava:270)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.startModules(XMPPServer.java:497)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:371)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:142)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:88)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:49)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Hey wroot,

I believe the exception your see is in fact related to this issue:

JM-655

If you are not intrested in downloading the latest nightly build to fix this issue you can turn the proxy on. If you don’'t want it on all the time you can just then make sure it is on only when you turn on the server then turn it off.

I’'m terribly sorry for this inconvience.

Cheers,

Alex

I’'m terribly sorry for this inconvience.

These errors doesnt hurt me as long as it doesnt affect my server. Just wanted to find out the cause.

At home version is 8

Same at work.

I think, I should also upgrade my server from 2.5 to 2.6.2 before the version gap is too big to patch things. So I assume that version 2.6.2 will update the MySQL script according to MySQL version whether it is 4 or 5.

I am stuck with MySQL 4 and will stick with 4. (Scare to touch it.) However in the future if I change MySQL to version 5 without touching WildFIre, what would happen ?

Nothing I guess. I will only get the benefit after I upgrade WildFire and then WildFire will upgrade the MySQl script again according to the MySQL version.

Can someone please confirm that my assumption is not wrong?

Regards,

wmhtet

Hey wmhtet,

MySQL scripts were modified in Wildfire 2.6.2 to not use fields bigger than 255 characters. Therefore, it should be possible to run the scripts in MySQL 4.* or 5.. I haven’'t tried upgrading MySQL 4. to MySQL 5.* so I cannot be of help in that area. May be you want to make that question in MySQL forums but I’'m sure that it has to be possible to keep existing databases and their data while doing the migration.

Regards,

– Gato