Wildfire builds broken - build server run amok?

Hi,

I downloaded the cross-platform builds of WildFire, and found both packages available to be broken/incorrect.

The “.zip” archive is actually a “.zip.gz” (double compressed), and contains only windows executables in the bin directory.

The “.tar.gz” archive is only a partial. A tar file compressed twice with gzip ( first with a DOS gzip then with a *NIX gzip ).

########################################

1. ls -l

total 492

-rw-rr 1 thor starf 486411 Dec 17 00:47 wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz

1. file wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz

wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix

1. gunzip < wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz > tempfile

gunzip: stdin: unexpected end of file

1. file tempfile

tempfile: gzip compressed data, from MS-DOS

1. gunzip < tempfile > tempfile2

gunzip: stdin: unexpected end of file

1. file tempfile2

tempfile2: tar archive

My intention was to install ( or attempt an install ) on FreeBSD

/Þór

I can confirm this - same thing experienced by me with the linux non-jre build of wildfire today.

Smoge

Hi Þór,

the .zip download looks indeed a little bit oversized, 6.341.225 bytes would be fine.

The .tar.gz download works fine now, 5.743.662 bytes and tar -xzf wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz works fine. I see no point to use gunzip on a gz file.

LG

Hi,

Thank you for this

I downloaded the .tar.gz file, and it does indeed have the cross-platform bin directory.

The reason I used gunzip on the ‘‘tar’’ file was that since it was compressed twice, tar didn’'t know how to handle it ( the first instance )

Example:

1. tar zcf - TEST.TXT | gzip -9 >test.tar.gz

2. ls -l *

-rw-rr 1 root starf 4132 Dec 17 11:53 TEST.TXT

-rw-rr 1 root starf 539 Dec 17 12:07 test.tar.gz

1. tar ztvf test.tar.gz

tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format

1. gunzip test.tar.gz

2. ls -l *

-rw-rr 1 root starf 4132 Dec 17 11:53 TEST.TXT

-rw-rr 1 root starf 10240 Dec 17 12:07 test.tar

1. file test.tar

test.tar: gzip compressed data, from Unix

1. tar ztvf test.tar

-rw-rr 0 root starf 4132 Dec 17 11:53 TEST.TXT

1. file is still compressed…

Incidentally, the wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz still downloads as a doubly compressed file:

-rw-rr 1 thor starf 5738394 Dec 17 12:01 …/wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz

when uncompressed with gunzip: ( gunzip < …/wildfire_3_1_1.tar.gz > wildfire.tar.gz )

-rw-rr 1 root starf 5743662 Dec 17 12:03 wildfire.tar.gz

I get the correct size.

Is the web server perhaps set to compress content on sending, but failing to notify the client ? ( just a guess )

The browser used to download: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0

/Þór

Hi Þór,

as it works fine with other browsers I wonder if this is yet another M$ bug. If the client requests Content-Encoding: gzip/deflate the server sends the .tar.gz file compressed - this makes only little sense. But the client must unzip it on-the-fly like all other content which is transfered compressed.

LG