Wildfire does not start / Java issue

You guys are silly. This is just a bash issue.

Say your JVM is in /usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/

cd /usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/

(surf to your java home dir)

cd bin

(change into the binaries dir)

mv java java_exec

(mv the java binary to another name)

vi java

(open “java” in vim and put some init code in it… get it, in it, like init, nevermind )

now in that vim file put this

#!/bin/sh

JAVAHOME=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06

$JAVAHOME/bin/java_exec -Xms64m -Xmx128m $*

and save it

then chmod +x java

(make it executable so your stupid java programs think it’'s actually java)

Now java is a bash script that points to java_exec which is the real java binary, first passing the memory limiting options.

Waaaalaaaaaa kaaazaaam. And that’‘s why I’'m the author of a Linux distribution.

U r 5111y, !r u?

You may (not) want to explain the difference between:

a script which launches java -Xmx128m and

a script which launches a script which lauchches java -Xmx128m

So what you are suggesting is more than bulls**t. I have some java applications running on some small servers and some of them need 3 GB memory while others just need 16 MB memory.

LG

"Well, i followed the instructions. I uninstalled all older java versions. Then I installed the Java JDK and JRE in version 1.5.x. If I enter now

java -version

it prints the message, that he could not reserve enough space for object heap. (http://miguet.biz/images/problem/java.jpg) So I found an information on an other website, that i have to start java with java -Xmx24m

But it seems, that SuSE 9.3 does not load the service on startup.

And the next problem is, that i have to tell wildfire, to use java with the special -Xmx24m extension. Otherwise java won’'t start. How can I do that? Or how can I tell the system, that he always use the -Xmx24 extension if i enter java -(any-command) automatically?

"

(pigmuet)

The original poster couldn’'t get his java vm to start at all. Without any memory options what so ever.

Instead of making 50 million individual scripts to launch x,y and z programs, simply replacing the java binary with an init script would have solved his problem easily and quickly.

Message was edited by: beercosoftware