Wildfire provide cross-protocol communication? (ICQ<->MSN<->Jabber)

I thought I read about such a beast somewhere, but can’'t seem to find anything now that I want to actually implement it.

Is it possible to configure Wildfire (or any Jabber server for that matter) to act as a gateway between the different protocols so that someone with MSN can chat with someone on ICQ?

I know it can be setup so that a multi-protocol client (like Psi, Exodus, Spark, et al) can be used by one user to communicate through each network individually (I’'ve done this already), but I would like the server to allow anyone to talk to anyone, regardless of network.

Thanks in advance

DionV

Hi Dion,

Welcome to Jive community

Did you miss the gateway announcement and the beta 2 release?

dionv wrote:

Is it possible to configure Wildfire (or any Jabber server for that matter) to act as a gateway between the different protocols so that someone with MSN can chat with someone on ICQ?

No, that would be kinda complicated to do, since the MSN-user would have to be logged in in the ICQ-network somehow.

The task of Jabber is to replace the legacy protocols, not to enhance them.

I know it can be setup so that a multi-protocol client (like Psi, Exodus, Spark, et al) can be used by one user to communicate through each network individually (I’'ve done this already), but I would like the server to allow anyone to talk to anyone, regardless of network.

I don’‘t know Exodus, but Psi and Spark aren’‘t multi-protocol, they’'re Jabber-only.

aznidin wrote:

Hi Dion,

Welcome to Jive community

Did you miss the gateway announcement and the beta 2 release?

Thanks for the welcome! Initially I avoided WIldfire because it is Java-based (and in my experience Java-based server programs tend to be very resource intensive), but so far it seems to be runnig quite well on my little Celeron 400 home server. Of course, there’'s only 3 users at the moment.

I missed the original announcement of the gateway, but did discover it while I was researching my issue. I have installed it, and it seems to be working so far. Still trying to get my ICQ list updated, but it allowed my MSN list right off the bat, carrying it forward from when I was using pyMSN-t.

DionV

I’'m neither a fan of Java, but check this thread out:

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?threadID=21926&tstart=0

You might think twice!

The gateways are still buggy but the combined Wildfire+gateways package is a brilliant idea and worthwhile. The support from the core dev himself in IM Gateway Support so far has been relentless!

anlumo wrote:
dionv wrote:

No, that would be kinda complicated to do, since the MSN-user would have to be logged in in the ICQ-network somehow.

The task of Jabber is to replace the legacy protocols, not to enhance them.

I thought that might be the case, but I remember playing with an IRC server plugin that would handle such a thing, so I thought I’‘d check to see if it could be done through a Jabber-based server. Hmm. Maybe I’'ll investigate the IRC server option again.

I don’‘t know Exodus, but Psi and Spark aren’‘t multi-protocol, they’'re Jabber-only.

My mistake. Spark is not multi-protocol in the same fashion as something like GAIM, but through registering with the gateway it can function in a multi-protocol fashion. I have used Spark with moderate success for MSN chats through the pyMSN-t gateway. I am now testing the new gateway plugin. Seems to be working fine for MSN thus far. Waiting for responses from my ICQ contacts.

My reason for asking about this is that I play an online game called OGame (www.ogame.org), which is a browser-based space battle. You start with one undeveloped planet and build from there. Part of the process is forming/joining an alliance. Most alliances will setup a forum for members to dicuss things, but quite frankly, most people do not want yet another login and password to use. And quite frankly, having to open another tab to monitor the forum is annoying.

However, a lot of people will have their IM client open all the time, so I thought it might be nice to offer an IM server that could be used by all the alliance members, regardless of their IM client. Maybe it’'s a little too pie-in-the-sky at this point.

Thanks for the responses!

DionV

dionv wrote:

However, a lot of people will have their IM client open all the time, so I thought it might be nice to offer an IM server that could be used by all the alliance members, regardless of their IM client. Maybe it’'s a little too pie-in-the-sky at this point.

Well, you could write a bot that connects to all systems, opens a chat there and forwards all messages between them. I don’‘t know about MSN, but that’'d be pretty easy in XMPP using Smack and OSCAR (AIM/ICQ) using jOSCAR.

anlumo wrote:
dionv wrote:

Well, you could write a bot that connects to all systems, opens a chat there and forwards all messages between them. I don’‘t know about MSN, but that’'d be pretty easy in XMPP using Smack and OSCAR (AIM/ICQ) using jOSCAR.

If I were a better programmer, that would be an option. Unfortunately, my skills do not include effective programming.

Your answer sounds similar to what I was thinking after reading previous responses, creating a specific user account on each system, and associating through wildfire somehow (it was a half-formed thought, which doesn’'t make much sense thinking about it right now )

DionV

Hi,

as you are writing a web-based game you could offer also a web chat like JWChat and integrate it there. Users may learn very fast that they can also use a xmpp client to access your server, so they may switch the client or use a multi-protocol client.

LG