Wildfire time out?

I need to know if the timeout specified will log off users who are still active on thier boxes? In other words, do they need to do something in the chat window to reset the timeout limit?

A remedial question, but we’'ve deployed, and I want to disconnect users who have been idle for more than 2 hours (or have gone home.)

Thanks.

Hi Ronald,

I need to know if the timeout specified will log off users who are still active on

thier boxes? In other words, do they need to do something in the chat window

to reset the timeout limit?

I think you’'re talking about two different things. The timeout property that you set the Wildfire Amin Console allows you to change the time a client can be idle before closing their connection. However, clients that send heartbeats to the server are not considered inactive, therefore Wildfire will never close those connections. But, most clients have an option that you can set where after X minutes of inactivity they can automactially disconnect.

A remedial question, but we’'ve deployed, and I want to disconnect users who

have been idle for more than 2 hours (or have gone home.)

This isn’‘t something the Wildfire currently supports out-of-box. As I mentioned above, most clients have a heartbeat where they send a notification to the server that basically says, "Yes, I’‘m still here!" even if that client has been idle for awhile. You can certainly change this behavior on the client side of things but that could be a bit of a problem if you have a lot of clients to support. As an alternative, you could write a plugin that monitors a users’’ presence and if their status has been to set to “Away” for a certain period of time you could close their connection.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!

I think you’'re talking about two different things.

The timeout property that you set the Wildfire Amin

Console allows you to change the time a client can be

idle before closing their connection. However,

clients that send heartbeats to the server are not

considered inactive, therefore Wildfire will never

close those connections. But, most clients have an

option that you can set where after X minutes of

inactivity they can automactially disconnect.

I’‘m running into this problem with my client library (it seems to be disconnected by the server after some 20, 25 minutes or so). In a thread currently running on jdev, it’'s suggested that sending whitespace be used as a way of keeping the connection open. OTOH, should this work with Wildfire? What kind of heartbeat does Smack/Spark send?

Hey Manuzhai,

Sending a whitespace character is considered as a heartbeat by the server. That is what Smack/Spark send to keep the connection open.

Regards,

– Gato

Hmm; I tried it out this afternoon, but it didn’‘t seem to work (I get an SSL timeout, it that what I’'m supposed to get, when just logged in after TLS?).

I’'ll test again tomorrow.