Will the Sip phone plugin work with clients other then Spark?

Folks,

I was looking through my plug in list today and noticed an sip phone plugin. I assume this plugin would turn my opensire server into an sip server as well and that i could make sip calls (if i gan ever get a bluetooth headset working).

Thing is, this seems aimed at the Spark client which i don’t use. I’m a KDE user. Would this plug-in work with other clients such as kopete or am i better off just setting up asterisk?

I assume that this duplicates the functionality of an asterisk server set up for sip, yes?

Thanks,

Bearcat M. Sandor

Hey Bearcat,

The SIP plugin on the Openfire side keeps a map between Openfire users and their SIP accounts. That information is then used by Spark (or any other client that requests it) to avoid asking the end user for his SIP account details. Spark (or any other client with SIP support) can then use the SIP configuration received from the server to connect to a SIP server and work as a softphone. Having said all that, XMPP clients could be extended to send the proper XML stanzas to the server to discover the SIP configuration to use and then work as a softphone. The SIP plugin in Openfire is not limiting the type of client that can use it. Moreover, the SIP plugin in Spark is open source so any developer of other XMPP clients can get the code and port it to their client.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Bearcat, welcome to IgniteRealtime community B-).

Thing is, this seems aimed at the Spark client which i don’t use. I’m a KDE user. Would this plug-in work with other clients such as kopete or am i better off just setting up asterisk?

SIP phone plugin uses Jive’s own name space xmlns=“The Jive Employee Engagement Platform”. So it’s unlikely supported by other clients.

I assume that this duplicates the functionality of an asterisk server set up for sip, yes?

Yup.

No. It don’t duplicates the asterisk functionallity. Not at all.

SIP Plugin just push SIP Account information to the XMPP clients, so the clients don’t need to input their XMPP user/pass and SIP user/pass.

And it is designed to support other clients that wants to receive such information. I’ll blog something about it.

Best Regards,

Thiago

Thanks. I look forward to the blog.

Bearcat