Windows Server vs. Linux Server

I am curious how many others out there are running Openfire on a Windows host. If you are how large of a user base are you supporting and what kind of loads and performance are you seeing.

How about for the linux group?

We have been running in testing on Windows 2003 in a virtual environment of about 35 users and its been working well. We are going to go live in production to on a dedicated server and with about 250 staff to start and increase from there. I dont forsee any issues with running on Windows but wanted to ask just in case. If it gets deployed on Linux it will be going on Redhat Ent 5.

Thanks

I am running on a windows 2003 server that has 2 other larger services on it (each with dedicted NICs). The server runs Openfire 3.4.5, WebHelpDesk, and WSUS. It is an older 3Ghz Pentium 4 with 4GB RAM and 3 1000Mb NICs and RAID 5 3Gb/sec SATA. We have 200+ users with a load generally of 113 concurrent users. We rarely have a problem and the server is on a scheduled reboot each weekend . Just for cache flushing because I am anal.

CentOS 5 Linux on VMWare virtual machine with 1 GB RAM. We have 1170 registered users, daily peak is at 210 concurrent users. Besides Openfire there are an MySQL, Apache and some pyTransports. Server is currently running since 27 days without reboot. Last reboot was a downtime of 30 seconds for updating to Openfire 3.4.4.

Hardware:

Cluster of multiple Fujitsu Siemens RX300 S4, each with 2 x 3 GHz QuadCore and 32 GB RAM. In case of hardware problems the VM reboots in 15 seconds automatically on an other node of the cluster. VMs can moved between the nodes while running. We have also an redundant network connection of the building. For daily backup we are using the university’s streamer robot.

(the main webserver of my university and some other important things are running on this cluster… )

It sounds like your using ESX server with Vmotion and HA services. Interesting loads and specs.

Thanks for sharing. That reinforces my confidence in running this on Windows in a larger production environment.

I have been very pleased with the performance of my windows implementation. What makes the experience better is the integration with AD including features such as Single Sign On for windows clients so my users do not need to authenticate manually with spark to chat it is all automatic.

Is this a plugin? I have not seen an option for this integrated pass-through/authentication logon functionality within the administration web site. Is this an option that could also be integrated if Openfire was running on linux? Does LDAP authentication for AD work as well with Linux as it does with Windows? I guess what Im trying to determine here is whether or not there any advantages to going with Windows over linux for the OS as I will be asked why I chose windows.

LDAP integration and SSO can be done on linux. It is a manual process that can be rather tricky on either os. The openfire server does not need to be run on windows server BTW. It can be run on a desktop PC. I started there with a core 2 duo with 2gb of RAM. Ran like a dream. The SSO config took the longest to configure and that was with an all windows environment. Since then I have been able to duplicate on 3 different servers on our network. Unfortuately every network is different. I was not able to get it working for another community member, but remote assistance is difficult. I do have a doc I made for myself for a guide that works well with my network. There is also a guide in the community but I find it overly complicated.

Thanks for your quick response. I understand the software could easily be run from a desktop machine but in this case we want to go live with a 200 user environment and then within the next two months or so scale upto our 550+ user base. We need to ensure the service is running on redundant hardware.

Would it be possible for me to aquire a copy of your documentation without your specific company details or any information that should be excluded?

I will gladly post it tomorrow when I am back in the office.

That would be great.

here is my doc.

Excellent! Thanks a lot for sharing your work.