Windows Service?

Is there a way to run jive as a windows service? I am afraid it’'s the only platform I can currently install jdk1.5 on.

Timmy,

We hope to support windows service deployments out of the box in an upcoming release. We’'re testing a new GUI installer that will let us do this easily.

For now, you may want to perform the integration yourself. For example:

http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/

Regards,

Matt

I have the latest version up and running as a service on Windows 2003 server and SQL Server 2000 right now, and thought I’'d pass on the settings. I moved the wrapper dll, exe and jar files into the bin directory, and the wrapper.conf file into conf. The relevent settings in wrapper.conf were:

wrapper.java.command=java

wrapper.java.mainclass=org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp

wrapper.java.classpath.1=wrapper.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.2=…/lib/startup.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.3=…/lib/messenger.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.4=…/lib/mssqlserver.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.5=…/lib/msutil.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.6=…/lib/msbase.jar

wrapper.java.library.path.1=.

wrapper.app.parameter.1=org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter

***Note, the files mssqlserver.jar, msutil.jar and msbase.jar are for sql server jdbc

Hi,

I have tried the settings above and got no joy , any chance you can send me the bin and config in a zip file and i can try that . .

Been trying for ages to get this to work …

Cheers

Tim

timo@barrons.co.uk

Message was edited by:

timo75

This is truely a nightmare if you are inexperienced in setting up Java applications.

I just do not have the intellectual calibre to work out how on earth to use: http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/integrate.html

Had a look here, but again, do not have the experience to know all the settings required to launch the application:

http://www.firedaemon.com

So, come on guys. Can someone help us thickies out. This looks like a great application, but useless without being able to run it as a service easily.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

Yep, it needs to be much easier. The plan is to switch to a new installer that will let us (optionally) install as a service during the installation. It’'s on the todo list!

Regards,

Matt

If your not using mysql/postgres database ie you are using the native HSQL database then you need the following in the classpath to use the Wrapper service

wrapper.java.classpath.1=c:\progra1\jive_m1\lib\wrapper.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.2=c:\progra~1\java\jdk1.5.0_01\lib\tools.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.3=c:\progra1\jive_m1\lib\startup.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.4=c:\progra1\jive_m1\lib\messenger.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.5=c:\progra1\jive_m1\lib\hsqldb.jar

wrapper.java.classpath.6=c:\progra1\jive_m1\lib\servlet.jar

hope this helps

Hello,

i have downloaded the Java ServiceWrapper. Can do here perhaps his complete wrapper.conf posts, please. I`m using the HSQL database. The Service does not start.

Hello,

i have downloaded the Java ServiceWrapper. Can do

here perhaps his complete wrapper.conf posts, please.

I`m using the HSQL database. The Service does not

start.

There is no need to use that service wrapper. Please download the Windows exe build instead. It includes an easy way to install Jive Messenger as a service if you read through the install documentation.

Regards,

Matt